PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

louiezmich

Lurker
Feb 1, 2013
Illinois
I just wanted to do a bit of an update for everyone here who has graciously helped me out.
So I went to my local smoke shop that is fairly close to my college. I walked in and explained to the nice gentleman that I was new to pipe smoking and wanted to take up the hobby, but have been having some trouble really getting a grasp of the whole smoking concept to the pipe. He walked me through everything that everyone has already said on the forum but having someone actually show me in person really sped up the learning process for me. So we packed the pipe together and for the first time a actually saw what everyone was talking about, the tobacco sprang up on the charring light. So I tamped it down, making sure the whole time to make notice that the tobacco still had spring to it. I then proceeded to do the final lighting of the pipe and I have to say that for the first time I actually enjoyed a smoke. I really started to taste more than a burnt tobacco taste. I walked around the shop and just kept sampling numerous tobaccos that he had blended himself and really was able to enjoy myself.
Now with that I still had some problems, at time I had some gurgling...I don't know what that means or is so if someone could help I would appreciate it. I also got tongue bite pretty bad and I can still feel it today so I need to work on that, and I had to relight a lot. But like anything I have a lot to work on but I finally am able to enjoy something that I am begging to become passionate about. The man there at 8 to 8 cigars also invited me to join the Chicago Pipe Club meeting later this month and asked me to become a member, so that was exciting and just an overall great experience.
Thank you everyone for your help and I know that it's only going to get better from here. I know I have a lot to work on, but regardless I am a happy man at the moment.
Thanks everyone and I will talk and ask questions soon I'm sure.
Louie

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Joining a pipe club is a great idea. You'll meet other members who clearly are fellow enthusiasts and will enjoy helping you experience nuances of other tobaccos you may not have tried yet
Good luck
Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.