PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Best wishes for a quick recovery. I had chickenpox growing up, and got the vaccine a year ago. It's pretty expensive if I got it at the Dr's office I would pay full freight (~$300 IIRC), however at a pharmacy it was free -- pays to check these things out.

Reactions: yanoJL and krizzose

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
… is not something I am finding enjoyable, especially on my goddamned face. Oddly enough, caffeine and nicotine both seem to take the edge off the pain, so that’s another reason for a bowl.

I know that vaccines are a touchy subject these days, and I do not presume to tell anyone what to do. That being said, my 50th birthday [in the US, you have to be at least 50 to get the shingles vaccine] will involve an appointment with a needle. You do not want this shit.
Shingles suck! I speak from experience.

Reactions: krizzose

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Before we were married, living in different states, my wife came down with shingles. We're the same age. So when I had a rash, I went to my primary care doc. She made a different diagnosis and gave me something for it, but later the same year, I came down with a different rash, bright purple on one side of my body, and i went back and my doc said, "You've done it now."

The vaccine to prevent it is an excellent idea, if you do vaccines, which having been through Navy boot camp, I did and do. The next best thing is to go in early in the illness and get the drugs that remediate it, so it doesn't develop and torment you for months. Tend it immediately or prevent it altogether.

Reactions: krizzose and Reggie

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
If it's above and below your eye it's dangerous because it can develop in your eye and cause vision loss. Your doctor probably warned you about that. Luckily I dodged that bullet when I had shingles. Also, having shingles doesn't make you immune from getting another attack. My doctor said to get the vaccine to prevent another occurrence. Best of luck.
Around the top of my eye and eyelid. I’ve already seen the eye doctor, and all is well at the moment. I follow up next week.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I'm from the age when chicken pox was a right of passage. Doesn't mean you'll get shingles. My brothers and sisters all had chicken pox too. None of us had shingles yet. The thing that freaks me out the most is Lyme disease from woodticks
That’s true. Having had chicken pox is a precondition for shingles, but it doesn’t mean shingles is inevitable

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Everyone I know who’s had shingles or have family members who did all say the same thing, get vaccinated. Getting shingles sucks.

Get better soon.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
The old wives tale that if you get the belt of shingles around your waste from spine to front ... if it meets in front its lethal ... is simply not true. Thats what I had years ago in the summer and my Doctor gleefully told me that. Funny guy. Great Doctor though. They didn't have anti-virals then ... only calamine lotion and bed rest.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Yes get the shot. Got it from my left lip to under the Left eye.
Two after effects. The nerves are semi numb. And, the beard that
was grey turned salt and pepper.
It was more then painful. I have never felt so sick.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I had my first shingles on my arm, a few years ago. Damn, it's painful, ugly, horrible bug, those yellowish wrinkles so nasty. I wish you a speedy recovery. Friend.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
My late father went through an attack of shingles when he was in his early 70s, and I would not wish how he suffered upon anyone. Accordingly, I have taken both the old and new shingles vaccine. It will not prevent the disease but will lessen its effects, and I'm all for that.

Reactions: JOHN72 and krizzose

giacomo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 15, 2018
Massachusetts (South Shore)
I hope you feel better soon. Yes, shingles is nasty, but it will go away. The real problem, as I see it, it the pain syndrome some people get after the rash resolves (post-herpetic neuralgia). This does not go away. It can be very difficult to treat. For this reason alone, I would get the vaccine (I have, and I had shingles a decade or so ago--thankfully, I didn't get PHN).

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
I got shingles on my back when I was a kid years after I had chickenpox. I remember coming down with a really bad case of chickenpox too. I had it around my eyes and some other unmentionable places.