PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Well it's that time of year...for students to be stressed and demotivated by project and finals.
I've been studying my ass off, rarely coming on the site to keep away from distractions. Well as it sits now, I'm failing my accounting course. I need an unrealistic mark to achieve a passing grade to move onto the net semester, but I just hate this course so much. I've gotten a bunch of tutor sessions, 3-4 study groups each week, and studying online and at home. And sadly failed miserably at my second midterm, which was very frustrating considering the amount of studying I did.
My entire education "career" was geared towards health and sciences. I was enrolled in the firefighting program, until i tore my achillies tendon 18 months ago, and it's still not up to 100%. So I decided that i need a new career path and death and taxes are the only garuntees in life....as they say.
I had a meeting with one of the academic counsellors at the school the other day and said that i'm a "high risk taker" and that business accounting is probably not the career choice for me. (I've never taken any sort of accounting cass in HS) I was thinking accounting has a lot of math...it really doesn't, and i was greatly suprised.
Well, since i'm flunking, and I can not continue on with next semester, along with saying farewell to the new friends i've made. SO, it looks like another career change in the near future. I have no clue what i want to do. I'm turning 27 in a few months, and it's depressing that i've been in and out of school so many times, and still living at my parents while "trying" to get educated.
uuugghhhh....sorry to go on and rant like this, it's just been a hard few weeks. Stress with school, on top of moving into a new house, so trying to live out of 1 box, and a staged house is a bit stressful.
I've been trying to get a few bowl in here or there, but my time is very valuable and things need to move quickly. But I do try to make time to "myself" to think about my future and ponder my next decisions.
/rant
Cliff notes

-Stressed about school

-failing

-trying to think about future
Thanks for listening.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Hang in there big guy, it always gets better and sometimes opportunities show up when you least expect it. Have a bowl when you can, and we still have to plan a night here sometime soon...Cheers!

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Thanks Matt, I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I'll try to keep my chin up. Yes, let me know what the plan is. I think hfearly (Nic) would like to join us too.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Hang in there Canasian. I also had a hard time with accounting in college. I did fail the course and had to take it again. I actually flunked out of Texas A&M during my first semester. Imagine that, first semester and I was un-invited to return! I liked to party way to much back then. Well I kept at it, got myself into UofH and finally graduated at the age of 25. I remember stressing and worrying so much about it. I just adopted the attitude that I WILL make it one day. I stopped thinking it would be done in 4 years, but it would be done. Sure enough it happened, I graduated, miracle of miracles. Now, 29 years later I still have the one thing no one can take away from me - my diploma. Keep your eyes on the prize and trudge forward and don't look back.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm certainly no counselor, but it sounds like you need to step back, decompress, and get the whole education/career path

angst out of your system. This is very bad timing, but what about taking an hiatus from what you're currently doing

and take a job -- any job -- for a while? I think you need to press the reset button. I hope something opens for you.
Your best hope of success and happiness lies in doing something you like, regardless of the size of the paycheck involved.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
I know that feel, bro. I know that feel. I was having similar issues and lost funding to go at the same time. I was forced to, but glad I did, take a few years off and live life. I worked my ass off at my job and was offered a tuition reimbursement. Better times are around the corner!

pipesicle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2012
S.E.Iowa
Many of us have walked many different career paths during our lifetimes. Some jobs we worked to get and some to get out of. I was kicked out of one college

left another because of a commitment to ROTC, changed majors about 4 times. I have been an officer in the military, worked for a scaffolding company, as head of

housekeeping for a hospital, worked my way up thru the ranks at Fedex to Senior Manager an now I own my own business.
I guess my point is...you never know where life will take you. Have a good attitude, keep your shoulder to the wheel and enjoy the ride. It will be a good one. :mrgreen:

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I agree with Cortez, you need to step back and really decompress. I have my methods of decompressing and self evaluating, which I do every few years (on a personal note, im due for it very shortly as I need to figure some shit out) but unfortunately this is not the right forum for that :D
... you know if all else fails, you can always move to Vegas and become a showgirl :P

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Thanks for the encouragement guys, I think I will take Cortez's advice, although I've already taken a a few years off after HS, then another year off after a General Arts program. I'll try looking for work, but i live in a government city, so it's hard to find decent private sector work.

Status
Not open for further replies.