Have you selected your Christmas tobacco yet?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

groundsar

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2010
Still deciding. I have McClellands Christmas Cheer, C&D Chestnuts Roasting and a 3rd Christmas blend but the name escapes me at the moment. Plus, I don't want to rule out whatever I may have received from my SS just yet :)

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
I wanted to get egg nog, or holiday spirit, or the new C&D one, or maybe even Christmas Cookie (but that was lowest on my list).
However, I don't ever purchase aro's and don't frequently enjoy them when I try someone elses. Curiosity got the better of me, though, and I figured Christmas was a good excuse to try one. But alas, between spending money on other blends I know I like, and a deep fear of ghosting (even tho I just grabbed a bunch of cobs), I ended up not buying any of them this year.
So on Christmas I'll be opening one of my tins of Haddo's, which will be excellent. And it's the sweetest thing I regularly smoke so, hey, sort of a holiday aro!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I'll most likely keep working my way through samplers of the bulk blends at my local B&M... at my current rate, it'll take a while. :)

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Just so you know, McClelland's Christmas Cheer (all of the yearly offerings I've smoked so far anyway), while cased, are not what I would consider an aromatic blend. More like a virginia blend with some added flavors -- think of Erimore Flake and University Flake -- while McClelland's Christmas Cheer is certainly different from those, the approach and the level of added flavors are similar.
Oh, and I have never had a problem with any Christmas Cheer ghosting my pipe.
I agree. In fact, I think that is why I enjoyed it so much. I smoked another bowl of the Peterson Holiday Season 2012 after I let it dry and found it is way too much. It was like a squadron of hornets entered my mouth and stung everything. So I sold it to my coworker who loves the stuff. I think I am done with the really sweet aromatics.
I will be picking up a few tins of Holiday Cheer and maybe a few tins of C&D's new Christmas Blend.
Jason

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I'm smoking chestnuts roasting right now. Was nearly ready to smoke right out of the tin. I think the tin note is wonderful with just the hint of Latakia. Does have a nutty flavor to it but to me is somewhat lacking. Flavor is changing throughout the bowl and was a tad bitey for me at times. When exhaling too much through the nose it burned to in the beginning. Seems to be mellowing out a bit a the smoke continues. Stays lit very well which is nice. I'm getting more and more into full englishes which is why I think it's lacking. If you like a hint of Latakia the. I think you will like this blend. I bought two tins. I'll smoke the one and cellar the other. As always, YMMV

cedeks

Might Stick Around
Nov 16, 2012
For the second year, Peterson holiday season... the aroma fits perfectly Christmas time

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Hmm, feeling inspired to visit the local B&M and see what I might find. Heck, if nothing else, I have a tin of Escudo that I can crack for the occasion, seeing as how I've never tried it yet.

dkobakofm

Lurker
Jul 31, 2012
United States
I opened at tin of Christmas Cheer 2012.

I bought two tins; one to smoke, one to celler.

Being new to those types of Virginia's I did not know what to expect.

Jury is out on the 2012 blend. From what I have learned, cellaring is a good thing.

For now I just opened a tine of 4th Generation 1855: very mellow. I'll open a tin of McClelland's No.1 Oriental this evening.

Can anyone suggest blends that would be similiar to EMP?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Everyone!

Fr. Dave

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I was so busy on Christmas day with cooking I almost didn't get a smoke in. Later in the evening, I was able to pop outside with a new, to me, estate pipe I picked up on Sunday. Ended up smoking an aromatic blend that I had cobbled together from a few other tobacco scraps.

dkobakofm

Lurker
Jul 31, 2012
United States
I just lit up a bowl full of McClellend's Oriental #1 green tin.

I love it. Maybe this is the one that will lead me further into Virginia's!

Smooth, light, mellow. May turn into a new favorite!

Status
Not open for further replies.