PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Have you ever ordered a bunch of small 1oz samples of different tabaks, and they all look fairly distinct from one another...

Except for this one sample, which is the 'cousin' of something else you ordered, except it's supposed to be at the other end of the color range...

Let's just say for example: You ordered Gag-n-Choke's Light Oogah Boogah, and, Gag-n-Choke's Dark Oogah Boogah in the same order... and yet, both samples you received look, feel, smell and smoke exactly the same to you; and, you think you got the same thing twice even though the stuck-on labels are different?

So, you go online and look at the pics in on the web site, and on there you can see a color distinction from one Oogah Boogah to the other; but, not in bags you received.

Anybody else ever experience this? - Sherm Natman

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Without seeing the tobacco or even knowing what they are, my blind guess is that someone made a mistake. puffy
What's even odder is when you consider how sensitive we are to detecting subtle differences in pre-packaged tobacco in cans and pouches from batch-run to batch-run which can occur sometimes; and yet, this one has me stymied. The thing of it is, this has never happened to me before, so that's why I asked if this has happened to others in their past experience.

I'm going to wait 2 weeka and re-order another 1 oz sample of the suspect one again, and see how that compares; or, order that suspect one from a different source and see what shows up.

This ever happen to you? - Sherm Natman

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
It hasn't happened to me with tobacco yet, but it has happened with a pipe. I ordered a MM Cobbit Shire pipe from a retailer and a Cobbit Dwarf pipe arrived in a package marked Cobbit Shire. I was happy with the Dwarf so I didn't take any action to correct it, but it was an obvious screw up by someone mistaking two very similar pipes.

Reactions: shermnatman

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
New Sherm Natman thread:
What the hell does one ounce tell me about a blend?

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I have been confused a time or two when a sample blending tobacco didn't taste like I imagined it would, but I can't prove I was sent the wrong thing.

For example, my sample of Sutliff Blending Perique. In the jar, it smells a lot like a chocolate brownie to me, made with enough sour cream to give a noticeable tang. Smoking it, I was expecting a spicy pepper bomb that burned my tongue and singed my nostrils. But it was/is a surprisingly mild smoke in those regards, tasting more like a somewhat funky burley than anything else.

Reactions: shermnatman