Has Peterson Quality Suffered in Recent Years?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've only been buying the POY offerings in the past few years, and with one exception, been pleased. (recent POY pipes had almost all over-buffed p-Lip buttons)

• Love
Reactions: Nevaditude

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
To echo what others have said, they really have improved their QC after Laudisi took over. I find their quality in the price range you asked about is roughly equal to what you would see in other major factory brands with good reputations (e.g. Savenilli, Chacom, etc.).

To me, however, the reason Peterson is my favorite of the major factory brands--and I've smoked pipes from many different brands from which to compare--is that they offer something very unique. They offer silver work at very affordable prices, they have army-mounted pipes, P-lips, etc. Not everyone likes those things, but for those that do, Peterson is one of the few places you can get those things at good quality at the price range you listed. I LOVE mounts on my pipes, and I also enjoy the P-lip. The moisture trap is fine; I can live with or without it. And I do like a nice hunk of silver on my pipes. Aesthetically, Petes tend towards traditional shaping with added muscularity, which is just my jam.

I will say, my favorite Petes are my deluxe systems, which typically go beyond your price point, but I also really like the Sherlock series, the Dracula series, and the Irish Army series, and those are within the price point you cite. They all smoke well. My Milverton in particular is a superb smoker.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Because people believe dumb shit on the internet. Think one millimeter of something affects smoking. And just love being tribal.
I agree that when someone posts something online, whether it be good or bad, it gets exaggerated for sure online.

I'm sure there is no more issues with a new Peterson than a new Vauen or Savinelli, but you *never* hear about those.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
As an owner of easily 50 Petersons (along with many artisan-made pipes costing much more than my most valuable Pete), I can say that since Laudisi acquired Peterson, I have only seen the quality improve. Sure, I still see an occasional legitimate issue reported, but given the volume of pipes they manufacture, it’s not surprising. They are a tremendous value and offer a distinct styling aesthetic which I happen to love. Every one of my Petes smokes well, except for some odd reason, my two Oom Paul/Founder’s Edition pipes, both of which gurgle. That said, I do not buy the lower end of Peterson’s range and own very few with acrylic stems.

What I have experienced more than once is a relatively new smoker suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect who declares that Petersons all suck. There’s no talking them down.

Homer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2020
Finland
My Peterson prince churchwarden is my only pipe that wont pass pipe cleaner. The quality is not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.