Has Peterson Quality Suffered in Recent Years?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

10 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
71 Fresh Peterson Pipes
New Accessories

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

beachley

Lurker
Jan 18, 2024
After reading some Peterson pipe smokers, some have said that Peterson quality is not what it used to be. Anyone have any issues with quality in your most recent Peterson purchases? Preferably those in the $100-$150 range.

marlow-se

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2022
Sweden
Personally I feel it is the other way around. Over ten years ago I had several Petes with quality issues so I stopped buying them. Then this last year I have bought and enjoyed several with no complaints. I think since they changed owners they have gotten better. That is my impression I have with my small sample size but I have heard others say the same thing.

Last edited:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
After reading some Peterson pipe smokers, some have said that Peterson quality is not what it used to be. Anyone have any issues with quality in your most recent Peterson purchases? Preferably those in the $100-$150 range.
That's old news. When Laudisi took over the company, they made a concentrated effort to improve the quality of their pipes. They knew that Peterson had let the quality slip for some years, and were determined to get that company's reputation back. Maybe there's a pipe here and here that may have a problem, but that can happen with factory pipes from any company. I have a couple of dozen Petersons since the take over, and every one of them have lived up to what they should be. I'd never hesitate to buy one.

JackOrion

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2023
West Yonkers California
I recently purchased 6 Petersons starting with an ebony 9b revival when released in spring of 23’ then this winter an Iora 999, 314 premiere barley, 125th anniversary 3s and 8s and a terracotta Squire.

I never intended to concentrate my purchases on Petersons this last year but the limited and special editions were just too good to pass up.

They’re all well made, but if I were to call out one of them as being suspect it would be the Iora 999. I have two other 999’s and both pass a cleaner easily. The Iora not so much. The draft isn’t centered well and overall my initial impression was that of disappointment. Besides the sloppy drilling the heavy blast left the stummel feeling delicate and thin. Quite smaller in hand than the two deluxe standards I own in comparison. It took a week or two before I started to notice the fine nuances of it. The lightness and incredibly interesting grain pattern. But even more so I started to appreciate it’s one of a kind uniqueness! I’ve never seen another 999 quite like it.

Granted all of these pipes are north of the price range the OP notes. But not by much and I’m extremely pleased with them regardless of price.

I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase Petersons and had to exercise some serious willpower today with the recent spigot release.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
We bought my father-in-law an inexpensive Irish Second when we visited the shop in Dublin a couple years ago - he’s smoked a little over a decade more than you OP and some fine pipes - he loves it.

I have more Petes than anything else, all acquired in the past 3 1/2 years. Wide range of price points. P-lip and otherwise. No issues with performance in the less expensive vs. the more so. Have had issues with stain bleed with three or four that resolved and haven’t seen that lately at all. Drilling has been almost always good and when not perfect they still do what they should.

I have an inexpensive Irish Harp on the way in a shape I like and a stem that looked more interesting than most of the Harps - I expect great things!

Everyone has their own experiences and any company making thousands of pipes will have some that aren’t perfect. Just buy from somewhere that makes it easy to return.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I think Im pretty safe. The Petes I like are on the expensive side. I think for those prices (around 300) Id direct my money elsewhere.

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
The most recent Peterson I bought was disappointing. Previous ones were fine. Too small a sample to draw conclusions.
But that along with reports from others .....

BTW if there ever was an issue with fakes Peterson would be the most obvious brand. If the Chinese can build convincing Rolex copies pipes would be easy. Food for thought.

Reactions: AroEnglish
Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Like others have said I think the quality has improved after Laudisi took it over. I think they’re still behind Savinelli for quality but I think the amount of pipes they produce is also vastly different.
I'm with you on this. I do enjoy my Petes, but I have more Savs and I like them a little better. But I have zero doubt I will continue to add to my Pete collection in the years to come.

Reactions: AroEnglish
Status
Not open for further replies.