Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
Wow! Sorry to hear about all the problems you guys are having with Petes. I have a lot of them, and overall I think they are a good value, but only the ones that cost $200 or more. They do take more care with the more expensive pipes. I would suggest avoiding slick finish Petes such as the Red Spray, and also avoiding the walnut finish, which has a strong taste. Whats good about the high end Petersons is that you may get a better piece of briar than you get from some other makers, for the price. Also the P lip is a help with bite if you smoke a lot. It seems that the pipes under about $250 are dipped in stain, to save on labor cost. I remove the stain from the inside of the bowl and shank with a high proof alcoholic drink, let dry, and the breakin is easier. There is an international Peterson pipe club online, where you may get answers to Peterson problems, and it has a way for you to contact the company.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
I prefer the look of the "Woodchipper" finish over the swirlled corkscrew rustication. All of my rusticated Petes are like that, including a superb smoking Deluxe. Must admit that the only Petes I have kept, except for a new 05 system, are all older estates. My smooth 307 is in excellent condition, but does not have as 'shiny' a finish as the newer ones do. Only thing I notice is that there seems to be a difference in the P-lip bits. Some are much more sharply defined - less rounded - than others. Even though there are a lot of more expensive pipes on the market, Petersons are just satisfying to have & hold - much like a good woman!

RR

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I prefer the look of the "Woodchipper" finish over the swirlled corkscrew rustication.
Wow, that's interesting. You're probably not the only one, either.
And I agree about the look and feel of Peterson pipes -- something about the shapes, the thickness, etc. They're just pretty pipes. I appreciate the modernist aesthetic of Stanwell, et al., but Stanwells are very cold by comparison.

cmkiefer

Lurker
Sep 7, 2012
Ontonagon, MI
Just purchased a Pete rusticated churchwarden. Not impressed at all. I'm not a serious collector, so it was kind of a big deal to drop the hundred bucks on a pipe. Poorly drilled as far as I can tell. Stampings (on the briar and stem) are of low quality. Still getting stain out of the interior of the shank after several cleanings. Smokes WET (that may be just me though). Overall, I'd consider my Grabows (mid 1980's vintage) to be of superior quality in general.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
What is ,is and what's going to be will be . :puffy:

Most of my pipes are from the old day's and they still smoke great

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Just purchased a Pete rusticated churchwarden. Not impressed at all...Overall, I'd consider my Grabows (mid 1980's vintage) to be of superior quality in general.
Ouch! 8O

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
cmkiefer,
Depending on where you purchased it, you may be able to return it. Or, try Peterson directly if that doesn't work out. I've heard that Peterson, despite the QC issues, is usually accommodating when a flawed pipe is brought to their attention. You could also subtly suggest they look at forums like this one -- squeaky wheels and all... Good luck!

badbriar

Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
I agree that Peterson is known to be one of the more accommodating manufacturers out there. Contact them and send it back. You're likely to get one that is better than average, from what I understand. Good posts on this on the International Peterson Pipe Club site.

BTW - +1 on the Grabows. I have several of the obsolete adjustomatics and they are actually my go-to's for best smokers. Still, there's something about a Peterson! Petes are in that price range where you are willing to smoke them, but would be crushed if something happened to the pipe. Personally, I'd be upset about my DG's but wouldn't lose sleep over them. Now, a pipe with the price tag of a new Dunhill, I couldn't bring myself to smoke it - would have to suffice to hold it and rub it!

bb

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Greetings all,
I just purchased this Pete Kinsale XL13 during a recent trunk show at my local tobacconist.
PeteKinsaleXL13001.jpg

I must admit, I have zero problems. Finish is well done, drilling is spot on, metal work is nice. Break-in is underway with about a half dozen bowls so far and nothing out of the ordinary. Guess I got lucky. I will say the stamping is a bit weak, but other than that, a very nice pipe.
Quality control can be an issue, as they're at maximum production capacity. Problem pieces do slip through. I know that's not a good excuse, but it is an unfortunate side effect of speedy production. The sales rep informed me that Peterson is having trouble securing enough briar, and can't keep up with demand. A mixed blessing so it seems.
CACooper

cmkiefer

Lurker
Sep 7, 2012
Ontonagon, MI
Frankly, I'm that customer, that if I don't like your product, I won't return it, you'll just probably never hear from me again. This pipe is smokeable and I'm working to make it better (hopefully). I've added pipe mud to bring the base of the bowl up to the level of the draw hole. I'm gradually getting the stain cleaned out of the interior of the shank. Hopefully, I can get a decent cake built up in the bowl to help with the wet smoke.
I appreciate Peterson's reputation for customer service and I do like the look of many of their higher end pipes though I wouldn't pay that much for a pipe. Just wanted to try a churchwarden and peterson seemed like a good bet at the time. I'm not bitter about this pipe, I'll just be more careful in the future.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Having owned several Petersons as well as having worked in a shop that sold them, I can honestly say the examples of flawed pipes I see regularly are astonishing compared to the QC they were known for 10-15 years ago.
My best guess is maybe they are trying to produce more volume than they are capable of? Recently, I noticed JR is carrying several models on their site. Anyone who knows JR knows they don't deal 1's and 2's when it comes to quantity. They buy big volume and sell at discount pricing, that's how their model works and it works well.
I've always liked Petersons shapes and finishes but used to recommend them as great pipes for people new to the hobby. I can't in good conscience say the same about them now. Maybe if you are buying in person at a B&M and can thoroughly inspect your purchase before you put money down, then you might be safe. As far as mail order like so many of us rely on, I'd pass.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Yeah, I'm usually like that about purchases (not wanting to bother with complaining), but a pipe is fairly expensive. Wouldn't do any harm in letting Peterson know -- not even asking for a refund. Have to do what you feel comfortable doing, though.
By the by, my good friend has a Peterson rusticated prince churchwarden and his is fine.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
I've always liked Petersons shapes and finishes but used to recommend them as great pipes for people new to the hobby. I can't in good conscience say the same about them now.
Spot on. Sadly a lot of the 'older' website around the net still recommend Peterson's to new Pipe Smokers, and most of the time those are among the first hits on Google. Folks new to this hobby have no clue what a drill hole even is, where it is supposed to be or what to look out for. And let's face it - 95% of all Tobacconists out there these days don't know a bit about pipe smoking, they are in it for a fast dime.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
I LOVE my Petes but would NEVER Reccommend them to a noob, purely because of the extended break-in...

irishflake

Might Stick Around
Jun 30, 2012
Michigan
I really have a beef with Peterson! Their pipes might smoke oK, but they really look like they are being made in China on the cheap!

I think they should be ashamed of themselves! I would only buy an estate Peterson -no younger than 30 years. Compare any Peterson shape from before and now. The Donegal has declined 500% Look at them on Smokingpipes.com, they look like crap! Look at an older one and you will see a bona fide rustic root finish. The new ones look like a boy scout with a Dremel tool made it. Also, the pipe cleaner issue is beyond me! Why can't they drill a straight hole? The high end/limited editions are cheaply made as well, the silver work is really sub standard.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"I LOVE my Petes but would NEVER Reccommend them to a noob, purely because of the extended break-in..."
Do Peterson's have a longer break-in period than any other factory pipe? I didn't realize this was one of their (many) issues. Or is this more of the pre-carb debate?

thrax

Lurker
Jun 3, 2011
Sorry. I misundertood the topic, I thought you were referring to the Peterson tobak which I am a fan of

Status
Not open for further replies.