PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I especially don’t care for any of the comments questioning their motives or implying that they have some nefarious reasons for keeping their affairs from the general public.
This X 1000 ^^^^
I can assure everyone on this board, regular or lurker, that Mike and Mary are exemplary human beings, period. Kind, devoted, passionate, honest, and GENEROUS to a fault.
This is the third thread in the past few weeks to beat this horse to speculative death, and now, apparently to keep things going, attempts are being made to inject the sensational.
That's bullshit. Uninformed, pot-stirring bullshit.
Knock it the fuck off. You want to offload some angst on the Internet, fine, but do NOT choose Mike and Mary as your target. Together, they have devoted ninety-plus years to our hobby, and never did anything but make it better for everyone. Their risk and hard work has directly and positively affected the PLANET in a measurable way. (How many millions of man-years have people smoked and enjoyed their blends the world over? Yeah... do the math.) :evil:

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
With Pipe and Book was a B&M in Lake Placid New York. Their business era was about in time with Mc C. It took them about three years to finally close the doors. Please remember it’s not about us, it’s about them.

They have give us an almost unparalleled amount of joy, memories and good tobacco in a relatively short period of time.
So to paraphrase George, quit fucking whining and just wish them well.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
+1 to what Philo said.
Some of the speculation as to Mike and Mary’s motives on this and other forums has been distasteful, to describe it politely.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Mike and Mary are friends of mine. What you describe is not the case at all.
I am not sure what was questionable in that statement, since it describes a fairly standard business response. If you cannot get certain raw materials, you re-organize around what you can sell.

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
This is the third thread in the past few weeks to beat this horse to speculative death
My reasoning in starting the post was to put the speculation to bed by asking if anyone from McClleland has actually said anything.
Seemingly the answer would be yesf in that they stated on Country Squire that some would go away but many of the others would continue. Aside from that little tidbit I gained, speculation has snowballed into a life of its own.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Interesting to see the difference between reactions to the fact of Dunhill disappearing, and the rumors of McClelland disappearing. Dunhills still widely available - what a year later? McC rapidly disappearing.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'll believe Dunhill is finished.... At the time it is finished, probably not in my lifetime. Yes, I see the difference, but just don't trust what the company has put out in press releases.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
There's an etailer that still has 40th, Dark Star, as well as other McClelland blends. Not close to the SP.com pricing, though...$25 for 100gm.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
Why not share with the world where?
It will be a Viking raiding party in no time! Fun to watch...

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
The McNeils certainly did not handle this very well. They told some people one thing (that they are closing shop), and they told other people a completely different story (they informed the Country Squire radio guys that most blends were safe).
After 40 years in business I expected them to make a more graceful exit. I hope we get the straight story one of these days.
Really? Are you sure? How would you've handled it? You make it sound like they owe you something!!!

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
Something which never surfaced in the discussion is how many employees they have, because while for us seen from the side of the hobby it is just a matter if we are continuing or not to have some blends, for other families it might be a matter of bringing home a paycheck at the end of the month. I don't know anything about the status of the business, how much it is discussed here is real or not, but we should think not only about the fate of our blends but also about the fate of the employees who are living check by check on this business.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
The message they imparted to PipeStud (or to someone PipeStud talked to) was that they were done for good. -

elvergun
Good grief; now here's a prime example of how rumors abound. elvergun, your comment was totally inaccurate and not even close to being true. I have never said on this forum that "they" imparted to me or someone that I talked to that "they" were done for good. If you think I said that elsewhere here on the forum then kindly provide proof of what you are saying. Sending a link to the thread or a cut/paste will suffice. Happy hunting!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If someone actually did and posted about it, how many would contest it and say it wasn't true?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Just looked on their site. Looks like the only way to contact them is via email. Couldn't locate a number.

elvergun

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2017
Good grief; now here's a prime example of how rumors abound. elvergun, your comment was totally inaccurate and not even close to being true. I have never said on this forum that "they" imparted to me or someone that I talked to that "they" were done for good. If you think I said that elsewhere here on the forum then kindly provide proof of what you are saying. Sending a link to the thread or a cut/paste will suffice. Happy hunting!
Sorry, didn't want to put words in your mouth.
But what did you expect us to conclude from your post? The discussion was about the McClellands retiring or not and you told someone who did not believe they would close shop that he would eat crow. Then you started to add on your site that McClelland blends were no longer produced. Perhaps I misunderstood you post...perhaps you were not very clear. Perhaps you were talking about them not selling their business and just walking away? Whatever the case, they are done for good since their blends are no longer produced, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.