PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
If any of you guys have a garden, now is a great time to post some pictures and maybe a few comments on what you plan to do with your harvest.
A few peppers from mine:
P9030247Small.jpg

In that pile are; habaneros, heirloom "Hottie" habaneros, Caribbean red-hots, serranos, jalapenos, cayennes, so-called "super chilis", Incan lemon drops, Tobascos, and a couple Hungarian yellow wax.
I have a laundry list of what I do with peppers that includes damn near everything I eat. My favorite quick snacks with them are with pimento spread, homemade queso, and minced up in cream cheese.
I like to use dried peppers in the off season to put in soups too, but when they're dry, you really have to watch what you're doing.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
...do you have any recipes for mixed hot pepper relish(es)?
I looked in my Ball canning book and didn't see anything really suitable, though I know I've seen one somewhere. I think it was in a book called "Putting Food By", which is a very informative book on all sorts of food preserving. (Even cellaring & smoking.)
This is only my third year growing peppers and with money the way it is, I haven't made buying all the gear necessary for canning a priority. That leaves drying & freezing, which will have to do for now.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I was given one tomato plant and all the tomatoes this year are very small and all the local critters have had a feast with them, so it's been a total failure this year.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I had a garden... tomatoes, red and green peppers, cucumbers, green beans, squash, and some others.
My 200 pound great dane decided he liked the taste of my vegetables and the dig was just perfect for his new found hobby of digging! Ever since that year I decided I couldn't keep him out so the garden was his! haha... I mean really it would have to be a 6 foot fence around my garden to keep him out!

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
That would be so cool with a pipe on top and smoke coming out.All the same,Nice display.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Very nice harvest. I am a gardening nut with 6 raised beds. I only grow a few hot peppers since I am the only one in the house who likes spicy food. I made sriracha (rooster sauce) AKA Vietnamese catsup. With thai dragon chili, and some other hot peppers last year. It is very easy. The first day I tried it it was wicked hot. A day or two in the refrigerator it mellowed out.
http://www.food52.com/recipes/6441_fresh_sriracha_aka_home_made_rooster
I also made habanero vinegar that I thought was going to be like chemical warfare but it was awesome! The heat was present for sure but you really could taste the fruity flavors of the pepper.
What else do you grow? I can grow veggies year round where I live. I am getting ready to plant snap peas and winter greens for the fall garden.

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
I have harvested my tomatoes and peppers,some pepperocini,and two types of eggplant. But my favorites are my herb garden that included mint(for Mojitos),basil,oregano,tyme,parsley and chives. Used some fresh and the rest i dry and save for soups throughout the winter months.

joshy

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2011
Did a decent amount of picking this year. Tomatoes, Squash, Peas, Okra (hate picking those damn things), Cucumber, Turnips, Potatoes, Watermelon. Too damn much! :lol:

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Our growing season has been...crap...to say the least; rain until August really didn't allow for much to come through, but we did get strawberries (second batch is about ready to harvest), a couple of zuccinis (most died on the vine), a single pumpkin (the rest died on the vine), a few pounds of tomatos, a pound of beans, and several dead plants that just didn't take.

We've got a few fall squash that are coming along very nicely; mostly acorn and spag.
Oh, and a whole ton of rhubarb, garlic and horseradish. But really, thats not an accompishment, more like I'm too lazy to reclaim that part of the yard...

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Collin - me too. I have a black thumb. The kids won't even let me near plants they're trying to grow and Bootleg's stepfather comes over every now and again to plant something in the yard. I can even kill ivy.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I only got one habanero pepper this year. I will have to hit the local Mexican grocery store when I want to make habanero cranberry jelly for Christmas presents. Here is the receipe
http://www.fiery-foods.com/recipesearch/cranberryhabanero-jelly
Go here for the full site. http://www.fiery-foods.com/
Winton

Status
Not open for further replies.