PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunplume

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
i never hear anyone talking about the Hardwood series by Missouri Meerschaum. Im sure some of you have them. I have been thinking about getting the little one....thats enough thought for 3 bucks..I'm getting one.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't own one, but the Whaling Museum on Long Island wanted to choose a pipe to represent what old time whaling sailors smoked, along with a little cloth bag of tobacco, and that was the pipe they chose, and it looked right at home, very appropriate.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I have a Diplomat Hardwood that, after breaking in is a nice "knock-around pipe"...

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I bought two MM Maple Diplomats that were in a bargain bin just a couple of wks ago, but have not done anything with them yet. These were the ones being made just a few yrs ago when cobs were in short supply & running on the small side during the drought.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I have two that I smoke quite a bit. I like them a lot, especially with their forever stem upgrades. Hard to say whether they're "better" or "worse" than a cob, but I will say I enjoy dark fired Kentucky more in them than any other pipe I've smoked it in.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I have a few straights and bents and after break in they smoke very good.

20140504_143043.jpg

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I have a maple Great Dane, it smokes really well, but not until broken in; I seem to recall that mine likely had varnish inside the bowl and thus smoked awful for the first couple bowls until it burned off! Once cake is formed it smokes as well as any other MM pipe.
Eventually I want to get a bent maple Country Gentleman.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
i dont have any maples but I do have there Ozark Cherry Wood. I think they are good when paired with the right tobacco. I smoke my cherry aros in them. The cherry aro combined with the burning cherrywood gives it a nice touch.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I have the hardwood Country Gentleman, and it smokes fine, after a pretty short break in. I don't really see it offering much advantage over the cobs, though. Maybe a nicer stem...
The little bitty ones, though? They're greeeeeeat, as Tony the Tiger used to say. Cheaper than the cheapest cob, lighter than the lightest cob, and fairly durable. They are my "sitting at the computer" pipe, cause I can clench them so easily. (I don't normally smoke in the house but, when my son is away, I write stories/read forums/game in the computer room)
Like you said, for the price, it's a no-brainer. If you hate it, mail it to me. I love 'em.
They do have some varnish inside the bowl. Mine burned off in just a couple of smokes, but some people sand them clean before smoking.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Hey Leacha, is that a Dunhill dot on your pipe? (and that is the first time I have ever used an emoticon!)

Well sometimes I like a little "class" even in the cheap things.

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
I have a maple Country Gentleman that has become my primary daily pipe. I have owned it for 3 months now and it always provides a great smoke. I smoke it several times a day without a thought regarding resting the pipe. After 3 months of abusive treatment it is taking on the look of a well loved and well used personal pipe and I am thinking about getting a couple more just to have around. I remember many many years ago I tried one of the cherry pipes from MM and I was not wild about that pipe, but the maple ones seem to be good smokers.

haebar

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2014
East Tennessee
I had one of the little MM cherrywood pipes years ago and it smoked hot. I got one of the MM maple pipes when I purchased one of the MM grab bags. I haven't smoked it yet.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
For the record the larger hardwoods are made of Maple while the Ozark Mountain line is made of birch. In the case of the Ozark Mountain line, "cherry" and "maple" refers to the finish not the wood it's made from.

Status
Not open for further replies.