PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jack was born this day in 1917, so he would have been 97 if he were still with us. Well, actually he is and always will be as his work will continue on in the public consciousness. Without Jack, there's no X-Men, no Spider-Man, no Hulk, Thor, Avengers, Captain America, Dr. Doom, Red Skull, Darkseid, New Gods, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, Silver Surfer... or hundreds more that sprang from the fertile mind of comics' great creative genius as he was the major or sole creator of most of the Marvel super-heroes and villains from the 1960s. Though Stan Lee and Steve Ditko created the Spider-Man we came to know, Jack gave the initial idea to Stan Lee.
We were very good friends for years, and I doubt one single day was passed since his death where I didn't have cause to think about him. His artistic visions were so great that people who never knew or heard of him were influenced by him. For those of us who were close to Jack, we liked the man even more than the work he did.
Here's an hour and half interview with Jack.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCoA1yoxino

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Hail to the King! There is no way to properly express the influence this man had on my life, imagination or thoughts on art and illustration. I am sorry for your loss, I was devastated at his passing and was never lucky enough to meet the man. You are most certainly correct though that he will live on, as long as society endures I would hope. Happy Birthday Mr. Kirby, may you rest in peace.

willc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
Kirby did indeed live up to his nickname "The King".

He, and a handful of others, revolutionized the world of comics.

I love to reread all of the Marvel classics.

His death saddened me but he will live on through his art for many generations to come.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
One of the treasured comics in what remains of my collection is a Jack Kirby tribute done by Eastman and Laird, where one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Donatello) encounters a guy in the basement (Kirby) with a magic crystal attached to his pencil, which allows his artistic creations to come to life...
Requiescat in Pace, JK.

Status
Not open for further replies.