PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Happy birthday to what was once a generally good idea...but the old constitutional republic ended in 1947 with the creation of the national security state.

Personally I think we would have been better off just sticking with the original articles of confederation.

Nevertheless, happy 4th!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Personally I think we would have been better off just sticking with the original articles of confederation.
We'd be smaller and there would be at least three countries north of the United States of Mexico, if it survived.

Since we are going sideways and entering into the dangerous area of political discussion, any idea of a confederation came to an end when several states were punished, massively in some cases, for attempting to secede. So, any pretense of a confederation ended in the mid-1800's. The American War of the Rebellion really created a truly "United" States of America.

Reactions: LeafErikson

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Happy July 4 to one and all. Sit back, have a pipe and a brew, and watch the fireworks in person or on TV. I've seen the Grucci fireworks in person over the Hudson River in NYC, from the New Jersey side and it is an absolute show. Other places are enjoying lights in the sky by drones. I've always liked the percussion of live fireworks, and I can take or leave the music, but prefer old Sousa marches and instrumentals to lyrics that pontificate too much.

My family used to be able to watch the city fireworks sitting in our backyard, no crowded driving or parking, just lawn chairs and a few sparklers and snakes to entertain us until the real show began.

At my first house here in town we could walk across the street to the college campus nearby and at watch the fairground fireworks from high ground there.

I remember one July 4 at the beach with my late wife's family, and the little terrier dog got confused and lost when the fireworks started down the beach, but we located her and watched the show together. All was well.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Happy Independence Day!!! Thank God, we pushed those limeys out when the tea price was about to go up. Otherwise we wouldn't have discovered Coca Cola which is dominating carbonated colored soft drink market world all over, not to mention Marlboro, and Budweiser. As Jack Burton once said "May the wings of liberty never lose a feather."

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
Happy birthday to what was once a generally good idea...but the old constitutional republic ended in 1947 with the creation of the national security state.

Personally I think we would have been better off just sticking with the original articles of confederation. Lol

Nevertheless, happy 4th!
Yeah, well, you know....1947👽Screenshot_20230704-183904~2.png