PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drunkblowhard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2015
I often see posts on this forum in the vein of "Kids these days and their damn this, or lack of that, or taste in those, etc."
I know those posts come from a genuine and good place, and I often find myself silently agreeing with them and then falling into a rabbit hole of wondering if we are all correct, or just grumpy old bastards! (I'm in my 30's but have been accused of being born an already fully formed grumpy old man many times.)
But more than the satisfaction of bitching about how often "kids today" get it wrong, and boy can it be satisfying, is the excitement when they get it right.
Which brings me to my point...
There's Broadway hip-hop (ish) musical about the life and influence of Alexander Hamilton, appropriately titled Hamilton.

I haven't seen the show, but I just picked up the original cast recording at the urging of a fellow cremudgeon/pipe smoker/history nerd. It's a giant hit, so you might all know about it already.
If you don't, go pick it up right now and get involved.
It's beyond amazing. I can't stop listening to it.
It's the smartest piece of pop culture that I've come across in a long long time. I'm not a Broadway musical guy, I'm not a hip hop guy. But this thing is near perfect. I feel like trying to appropriately describe it would be foolish. Just do yourself a favor and check it out if you are at all interested in the history of the American Revolution.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
I looked it up--while I do have a longstanding admiration for Mr. Hamilton, I don't know that I'm sold on the writer's premise that Hip-Hop is the best vehicle of expression for the story of the Revolution.
Here's a great video/interview for those who are interested in the concept (as I certainly was). Anyone with an appetite for popular historiography should certainly look into it.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0wboCdgzLHg

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
And yes, when I saw the writer rehearsing on stage with a t-shirt that said "Burr Shot First", I chuckled loudly and smugly. :worship:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
For anyone who cares, the tree where the duel took place is in Weehaken, NJ. It's just outside the Lincoln Tunnel. There's a fence around it with a plaques describing the day. Weehaken sits on a hill and when you get there you realize that to get to this spot must have taken a huge effort. Crossing the Hudson River and then hiking up to the duel site. These had to really hate each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.