PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Besides Half N' Half, I wonder if there are there any other blends with roughly equal portions of VA and burley? Most VAs and Vapers are pure VA (and Perique), while most burley blends have a smattering of VA at the most, but lately I've been mixing VAs of different types with my usual burleys (Old Joe Krantz, Haunted Bookshop, Burley Flake #2) and it makes for a great change of pace. You get more sweetness from the VAs, but you don't VA palate fatigue either (all that tangy sweetness gets old after a while). I suspect some older blends were probably a more even mix of the two, but I can't think of any that are made right now.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Bell's - Three Nuns

C&D - 417P: Night Train

C&D - Exhausted Rooster

Esoterica - Tilbury

G&H - Best Brown Unscented

G.L. Pease - JackKnife Plug

Mac Baren - HH Old Dark Fired

Mac Baren - Modern Virginia Flake

Peter Heinrichs - Dark Strong Flake

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I made up a blend of equal parts 5100 and P&W Nut Brown Burley. It's my warm weather go-to blend. Tastes like cinnamon and chestnuts.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I was particularly looking for VAs with ordinary burleys (not dark fired). It seems there are surprisingly few of those.
Stonehaven is one I like, although it's really in a class of its own being sauced and steamed and pressed.
But Briar Fox is one I had forgotten about -- I have a bit of that here at home. Great suggestion.
Haven't tried Night Train, but that sounds promising.
billypm wrote: "I made up a blend of equal parts 5100 and P&W Nut Brown Burley. It's my warm weather go-to blend. Tastes like cinnamon and chestnuts."

I'll have to try that one -- sounds amazing. Although the Nut Brown is also discontinued (!).
chasingember, my understanding is that the "bright" in Hn'H is bright VA.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
chasingembers, I just read the other day that my beloved Burley Flake #2 has dark fired in it, but I swear it doesn't. As far as I can tell, it has some white burley and some dark (burley), plus a little VA. But it's like Abe Lincoln once said...
abraham-lincoln.jpeg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
chasingembers, I think your original perception was closest to the reality here. I am smoking some half and half as I write this, and I find it hard to believe it's half VA.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
chasingembers, I think your original perception was closest to the reality here. I am smoking some half and half as I write this, and I find it hard to believe it's half VA.
Interesting. I can't remember the last time I smoked it. Guess i'll have to break down and buy a pouch (does it come in pouches anymore?).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you can do plug, Triple Play fits that category, if I remember correctly, but is also just an outstanding blend.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oops, Triple Play is also dark fired. Sorry about that. I've had success mixing McClellands 5100 for Virginia, with Lanes burley without bite, and sometimes a little black Cavendish. You can tweak it with other blending tobacco, but I think the simpler the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.