Half And Half, First Time

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpbass

Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
I have tried many of the OTCs over the years, but never H&H. Gave it a go for the first time tonight. sure blows away PA IMO. Can really taste the VA (aka Bright) in this one. In fact I enjoyed it more than some VA flake blends I've tried. Just wondering who else shares the love of this American classic .

nsfisher

Preferred Member
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I have read of many members liking the blend, and others who are not so fond of it. I, myself, have not had the adventure of yet trying it, but i shall in the near future.

igloo

Preferred Member
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Every now and then I get a hankerin for it myself . A lot of the old standbys get a bad rap from the tobacco snobs . Funny how the the OTC blends outsell the fancy stuff every year.

jaysin

Preferred Member
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
I just got some Half and Half for the first time 2 months ago and was pleased i actually keep some around now.

spyder71

Preferred Member
Jul 14, 2011
I like it just fine and smoke it when I want something that is uncomplicated in nature :)

pipeinhand

Preferred Member
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
For me it is just a straight up smoke. Not in your face and not just cigarette tobacco. Pleasant without being boring.

papipeguy

Preferred Member
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
A fine burley blend. Its changed over the years, like so many, but still a good one. Try it in a cob to get hte full effect that codgers enjoy.

wildcat

Preferred Member
Jan 1, 2012
I love Half&Half. I remembered it from when I was a kid and when I started smoking pipes it was my first tobacco. I love the pouch/tin smell and I smoke it without bite or any other issues. I have been spending time with it blended 50/50 with Smokers Pride Black Cavandish. As a matter of fact, it's gray and cold here today and the ball jars are in the dishwasher waiting to come out and be filled with H&H and my aforementioned blend (my son calls it "Cap'n Fran!")

Thumbs up for Half&Half! PS)I am smoking PA from 4noggins for the 1st time. I am not ready to compare yet tho... Good Saturday smoking everyone!

docrx

Preferred Member
Jan 9, 2011
Only pipe tobacco I ever tossed was a pouch of Alsbo Gold because the topping gave me a severe tongue bite that lasted for days.For some reason Half and Half has a touch of the same thing ruining the smoke for me.CH is much smoother and I'm looking to try some PA soon.

gecko13

Preferred Member
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
HH and CH are two great OTC no fuss smokes. I have also taken a liking to Walnut after finally giving it a try a few months ago. Added a few tubs to the cellar for the coming dark ages.

wildcat

Preferred Member
Jan 1, 2012
LOL! I too am giving Walnut a run right now... Me likey!
edit: This was my 100th post by the by! I have member status now! WOOHOO!!!!

smokenscotch

Preferred Member
Nov 23, 2011
I'm glad this topic came up. I now want to try this blend more than ever. Sounds like something I would enjoy.

bobby46

Feb 11, 2012
H & H has quite a distinctive, pungent pouch aroma that you either love or hate. It is a great smoke, but you may want to dedicate a pipe to it; it is the king of flavor ghosts. I now have two cobs that stay in a closed drawer haunted by this stuff. BTW, I sneaked a few puffs of H & H as a kid in 1957 and again a pouch 54 years later. To me, the recipe hasn't changed at all.

captainbob

Preferred Member
Oct 5, 2010
I smoked H&H for 19 years exclusively before I got interested in blending in a serious way. H&H has stood the test of time! I respect it. However, it is so loaded with PG (Propylene Glycol, a preservative to extend shelf life) that I can't tolerate the goopy-dottle it leaves behind, anymore. I have become accustomed to blends that do not contain that preservative. In addition, somewhere along the line, they dropped the deer-tongue element and the blend is no longer what it used to be. I do understand that because deer-tongue is very hard to come by and expensive. Craig Tarler told me he has ninety pounds of it and he guards it with his life! I have found that many other Virginia/Burley/Deer-Tongue blends more than satisfy my urge for that type of blend. But, if you love it, that is great! H&H is one to be sipped and not gulped! It is also my humble opinion that H&H contains a topping of cinnamon and buttersctch. I got very close to duplicating it after a year of trial and error in 2005. I will never deny that H&H is to be respected! After all, I smoked it for a very long time. I recommend that if anyone is interested, they should, by all means, give it a try for a whole pouch-full in a dedicated clean and dry pipe. That, in itself, will yield the best advantage to this blend.

fnord

Preferred Member
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
My grandfather used to roll his own smokes with H&H and, every now and again, would stoke an old Mastercraft with same. He always wore khaki shirts and pants from Sears & Roebuck and I inherited several of his shirts after he passed away. They were all dotted with tiny little burn holes from his cigarettes and pipe. I've never tried H&H but I remember the aroma clearly and it will be my next drugstore buy.

colorduke

Preferred Member
Mar 5, 2011
I smoke H/H alot and everytime i light up it takes me back to when i was a child watching the old codgers smoke it while solving all the worlds problems.

deyro

Feb 11, 2011
I almost picked up some Half and Half last month. I don't see it up here very often, but now I think I'll have to go find some and give it a try.

wildcat

Preferred Member
Jan 1, 2012
My grandfather used to roll his own smokes with H&H
My son throws some H&H in his RYO machine for me when I ask. Very nice smoke in the pipe and rolled!
@mlyvers: as I mentioned earlier I am having a love affair with a 50/50 mix of Smokers Pride Black Cavandish and H&H! Very nice!!! Good blending to ya. Please keep us posted after the "marriage!"
Love the comments here about the old codger... H&H takes me back everytime I smell/smoke it!

papipeguy

Preferred Member
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
To Capt. Bob's point, to me the deer tongue in H&H is what made it special. I've since moved to C&D's Gentleman Caller because it reminds me of the "old" H&H. GC is a worthwhile venture.