Hal O The Wynd Lovers, Anything Similar?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
After smoking quickly through 100 grams, I found that this was almost the holy grail of smokes. No idea why it clicked so well with me, but it did. I now want to order a pound, but in bulk, you only save about 8 bucks buying a 500 gr bag versus buying 5 tins. That's less than $2 a tin, and frankly I like the tins, so hardly worth it. I normally save considerably more buying bulk. As I search for something similar, a red virginia broken flake with a touch of perique and kentucky, I can't find anything. There are some that are a little similar, but descriptions seem to show mild strength, where I prefer something with a little more. Anyone found anything close? If I have to, I'll pay for HOTW, but would sure like to find something with a better price....if it exists. Probably not, but this is the place to ask! Thanks in advance.

Jul 15, 2011
The last time I checked, buying 100 gram tins at JR Cigar is actually a little cheaper than buying in bulk. $13.50 a tin times 5 tins equals 17.5 ounces of tobacco for $67.50, vs. $68.45 for a whole pound at smokingpipes.com. No need to give up buying the tins if you buy that way, and JR Cigars are great people to deal with. I have no personal affiliation with them, just a happy customer.
And for the record, I agree with you about HOTW. That stuff is choice, great fresh, I'm dying to see what some age does to it. Nice and strong, bold, flavorful, probably one of the better Virginia blends I've ever smoked.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm trying Hal again, after a number of years. My first impression was that it had no flavor whatsoever. It was easy to light, keep lit, smoke to the bottom of the bowl, and smoke cool. Nice ash. No flavor. I'll try a different pipe with a different chamber shape and see if the experience improves.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
HOTW is lovely stuff. I don't smoke a ton of it, but I do enjoy it. Got a 2008 vintage tin open right now.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Pipe Novelist's post makes a lot of sense -- especially when you consider the cost of the jars needed to cellar a pound of bulk tobacco.
From my limited experience, I think you might sample GL Pease's Cumberland. IIRC, it's a little more woodsy than HOTW, with maybe just a touch more natural (Virginia) sweetness. But it's in the same blend family.
A suggestion which is a little less like HOTW, but which still may please you is Pease's Triple Play; but it has dark fired Kentucky for a smokier profile, and a bigger dose of Perique. Also, it's a plug, so there will be considerable futzing around with each bowlful.
Personally, I'd stick with HOTW in the 100g tins, but it wouldn't hurt to sample these others.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
cakeanddottle +1
In fact, HOTW, Old Gowrie, Brown Clunee, and Marlin Flake are all great selections from the Rattray line. Top notch, and fairly closely related.

--- All should be on your next shopping spree. :lol:

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I love Hal. . . but my impression of it was similar to sablebrush's until I figured out just how slowly I needed to smoke it. Suddenly, this thing blossomed in the bowl: intense sweetness and Virginia richness. But, man, does it teach you to go slowly.
And, no, IMO there is nothing else out there like it, other than its siblings in the Rattray line.
Bob

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Thanks guys. I found triple play to be much stronger than HoTW, and therefore not suitable for an all day long smoke. HoTW is best for me in a small pipe, smoked very slowly. Getting it to smolder by occasionally breathing through the pipe yields rich, full flavor. It looks like my best bet is to buy the tins from JR cigars. Thanks for the tip!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
bryanf:
I'll just add that I wish more of the Rattray line were available in 2oz./50g tins rather than the 100g tins. (That would, of course, bring down the per-tin price, although not the overall cost.) Generally, I'm cool with splurging on a 100g tin of something I haven't tried, especially when I know I like so many others in their line. But there are rare occasions -- Dark Fragrant seems to be one -- when I'm left with lots of tobacco that just doesn't sit right with me.
Bob

Jul 15, 2011
Cortez, I've got a tin of Cumberland that has a little less than a year on it, if it's as similar as you say it is I might have to get a few more tins. I'm pretty well stocked on Hal O The Wynd so maybe I should check that out next.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I thought I'd revisit this topic quickly. I recently bought some bulk McClelland 5100 Red Cake, and I have found that it is the closest thing to HOTW that I have tried. It is nearly as good, really satisfies. I will be buying this by the pound. I've only been smoking it for 3 days straight, and time will tell if I like it as much as Virginia No 1 for my cheap bulk smoke.
For several months now, I have been smoking a straight bulk Virginia or Burley all day long, and reserving my tinned flakes for night smokes only after work- to stretch it out. Not that I can't afford the good stuff all day, but I like to smoke a bulk that I can easily go to a B&M and purchase. When you smoke as much as I do, a 50gr tin only lasts a few days, and it's very disappointing pulling out that last flake!

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I've heard this from others, nsfisher. I may buy up a tin next time I'm at the B&M. They carry both.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I was reading a post online where a guy went through trying every VAPER he could find over a period of weeks, and McConnell Scottish Cake came out number one. I've only tried a few, but I enjoyed them all. I definitely love red virginia and will try and toss a tin into my next order. Thanks for the reminder.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I just had a morning bowl of it, and I don't think anything exactly like it will be possible for me to find....but I had gotten sort of hooked on that flavor and strength. Straight virginia's usually are very low on nicotine for me, and as such don't do the trick for that morning or evening smoke. However, for an all day smoke, I don't mind, and I have found that the McClelland 5100 has a similar taste, and I really enjoy it. It doesn't have the nicotine strength, but it's a good all day with a good flavor.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
bryanf -
If you have McC 5100, try adding some McC Perique at 16% - 20% rate, to it. I've been told, by a reputable source, it's what Hearth & Homes Louisiana Red blended of. I think you'll enjoy it.
I've been meaning to try HoTW for some time now, and comparing it to 4Noggins Prairie Wind. I've read it's close to HoTW, if somewhat milder. I really enjoy Prairie Wind. My next order will include both blends to compare.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Will definitely give it a shot, werdna. The stuff is really good. I can imagine a little Perique would make it even better.
I also want to try Prairie Wind. I think what is special about HOTW is that the virginia's in it (I find the perique and kentucky to be blended in very small amounts, but I could be wrong) have some pretty decent nicotine. Nothing like a dark fired VA/BUR flake, but still very satisfying. I bet Prarie Wind would make an excellent all-day smoke.
I'm actually trying (unsuccessfully) to get my nicotine tolerance down, by smoking lower nicotine blends through the day....but like the strong stuff in the morning and at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.