PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Way, way, way back when I was a cigarette smoker, I loved making smoke rings.

I could shoot a string of rings up to 5 or 7 from a single drag. I could even shoot a small fast ring through a large slow ring.

Oh, how I loved to make smoke rings!

It had always frustrated me - in a disappointing way - that I could not perform my tricks to my pipe smoking. For years I tried; until, I simply gave up trying - this, because of how I draw the smoke from my pipe quite differently from how I would draw on a cigarette, I have never been able to make smoke rings from my beloved pipe... until today!

I was having my morning pipe with my tea while watching the TV; then, to my amazement - with no thought of it whatsoever - there was a smoke ring shooting towards the TV screen! I was so surprised to realize I had done the thing without even thinking!

Quickly, I willed myself to shoot a second at the first - success!

I leapt up from my recliner; and, broke into an improved little jig - much to the confusion of the dog - as I began shooting rings around the den in all directions. No target was safe from the onslaught of my machine gun-like fury - the lamp, the talking head on the TV, even the wide-eyed dog snapped at the ring moving quickly in her direction.

Oh joy! Rapture! Happiness! - Sherm Natman

djgilx

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2014
Dover, England

I could shoot a string of rings up to 5 or 7 from a single drag. I could even shoot a small fast ring through a large slow ring.

It had always frustrated me - in a disappointing way - that I could not perform my tricks to my pipe smoking. For years I tried; until, I simply gave up trying - this, because of how I draw the smoke from my pipe quite differently from how I would draw on a cigarette, I have never been able to make smoke rings from my beloved pipe... until today!

I was having my morning pipe with my tea while watching the TV; then, to my amazement - with no thought of it whatsoever - there was a smoke ring shooting towards the TV screen! I was so surprised to realize I had done the thing without even thinking!

I leapt up from my recliner; and, broke into an improved little jig - much to the confusion of the dog - as I began shooting rings around the den in all directions. No target was safe from the onslaught of my machine gun-like fury - the lamp, the talking head on the TV, even the wide-eyed dog snapped at the ring moving quickly in her direction.

I was never a cigarette smoker and would love to blow rings from my pipe, but I have tried and failed …
???

Reactions: Latakia Dave

scout19d3

Can't Leave
Jul 6, 2021
Katy, TX USA
No matter how hard I try, can‘t do it.
This may sound crazy, but an internet search on "how to blow smoke rings" might be your solution. Numerous videos and written descriptions - many quite contradictory to each other - provide a wealth of study. The different perspectives are interesting.
A few years ago, when I decided I wanted to blow smoke rings, I was unable to pursue my preferred learning method, as my grandfather passed away when I was still young - too young to sit with, watch, discuss and learn as he smoked.
At any rate, I learned how - and it's amusing to pop them out periodically whether by myself or with others.

No doubt I'll never reach this level of smoke ring wizardry - blowing smoke through another's smoke ring
<video link attached, above>

Wildlands

Might Stick Around
Jan 17, 2022
NC, USA
I find it’s easier to do smoke rings with a cigar compared to a pipe as you can get a larger volume of smoke in the mouth more easily. Enough so that I don’t even try blowing smoke rings when smoking a pipe…but sounds like you’ve got it figured out!

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Easy indoors… outdoors with a little breeze and it becomes much harder ?

Edit: Creating a ring from the bowl is pretty kool too, although that is a lot harder, and mostly occurs by accident…

Reactions: Latakia Dave

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia

Here’s one for ya!80CDB44D-4C60-4853-8AF6-00E8C821EE74.jpeg