PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
It has probably been a year or 2 since I took count of my cellar and tonight I decided to do so.

All of my tobacco tins are stored in an environmentally controlled area, inside a large rubbermaid container so no light gets in and it stays neat enough and hidden the wife doesn't see it. House stays at around 74ish in Summer and 69 in Winter.

Well, to my dismay, a 1lb GLP Westminster from 2010 that I had not opened, and was THE FIRST bulk purchase I ever decided to sit and forget about had a failed seal on the top. I noticed the other from 2017 sitting next to it starting to bulge from age, and then saw the 2010 one with what looked like small speckles on the lid and no noticeable swelling . It was not like this the last time I took inventory.

I dumped the tobacco out to look at the tin and it appears that the container either managed to get wet before arriving to my house back then, or the moisture in the tobacco caused a small rust spot to form under the lid which eventually popped. (That tin has never seen the outside of a container since the day it arrived at my doorstep)

To make the night worse, my last tin of Black Woods Flake by McC from 2011 had also popped. Trying to rehydrate it to see if it can be saved, but I am rethinking aging tobacco in original tins. I know it will hurt if I ever try and trade or sell in the future, but mason jars definitely do not fail like that.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Damn! That sucks................. I'm going to have to check my tins now. I bought a 1 pound tin of GLP Westminster in 2016 or 2017 from Mars Cigars and was delighted that the tin they sent me was dated to 2010............ It's one of my all-time favorites, I love it with some age............ I'd better get to checking.

Reactions: seanv and JOHN72
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
While some tins seem to age well and provide a decent return upon sale, proceed with caution.

Gawith Hoggarth warns that with cellaring being a modern trend, factory tins aren't meant for long term storage.

With several members experiencing some issues as well (and odds favor some lost tobacco over time regardless), I would weigh the pros and cons (including if attempting to sell for a profit is a goal).

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Well, I've never cellared due simply to cost considerations, but, I've seen so many posts here like this that I think it's a heck of a gamble to even attempt it.

Reactions: seanv and JOHN72

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Even with my modest stash, I know that I "cellar" more tobacco than I smoke, as I suspect many do. Mostly I've found that it keeps pretty well. A six year old tin usually is entirely smokeable. But after a decade or two, these containers are questionable, yes. And vulnerable to time and circumstance, often humidity.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
Not if you jar it when it arrives.

This - in all honesty, if you arent planning on trying to flip a tin down the road for a quick $, just open them and transfer to a mason jar. I shouldve done this with the blends I know I love and will smoke. Now, some that are 5 years plus - I dont want to open and risk interrupting the aging process.

Unless the tobacco crumbles when you touch it, it should be worthwhile rehydrating it.
I think the McClelland will be ok, but the Westminster had this weird looking stuff on the top so I just tossed it. It was from whatever was growing on the lid. (Looks like small metal * shapes dotted around in clumps, and its not mold). Again, I think that tin was damaged before it arrived and I failed to inspect it like I should have, though I know the seal on it was still intact at least in 2019 when I checked my stock.
Even with my modest stash, I know that I "cellar" more tobacco than I smoke, as I suspect many do. Mostly I've found that it keeps pretty well. A six year old tin usually is entirely smokeable. But after a decade or two, these containers are questionable, yes. And vulnerable to time and circumstance, often humidity.

Yes, I agree, and I am also worried about some that are now almost circular in shape from swelling. Luckily, these will all be ones I will get to eventually, but I just hate feeling like it was money wasted having to dump ones that old. From now on, I will just do like one of the other posters recommended and jar upon arrival.

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
It has probably been a year or 2 since I took count of my cellar and tonight I decided to do so.

All of my tobacco tins are stored in an environmentally controlled area, inside a large rubbermaid container so no light gets in and it stays neat enough and hidden the wife doesn't see it. House stays at around 74ish in Summer and 69 in Winter.

Well, to my dismay, a 1lb GLP Westminster from 2010 that I had not opened, and was THE FIRST bulk purchase I ever decided to sit and forget about had a failed seal on the top. I noticed the other from 2017 sitting next to it starting to bulge from age, and then saw the 2010 one with what looked like small speckles on the lid and no noticeable swelling . It was not like this the last time I took inventory.

I dumped the tobacco out to look at the tin and it appears that the container either managed to get wet before arriving to my house back then, or the moisture in the tobacco caused a small rust spot to form under the lid which eventually popped. (That tin has never seen the outside of a container since the day it arrived at my doorstep)

To make the night worse, my last tin of Black Woods Flake by McC from 2011 had also popped. Trying to rehydrate it to see if it can be saved, but I am rethinking aging tobacco in original tins. I know it will hurt if I ever try and trade or sell in the future, but mason jars definitely do not fail like that.
I just put my tins in Mylar bags. If they pop they are still sealed.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
I think a cellar looks much better when all in original tins. However I can't justify the risk. Or price for that matter.

I had an 8oz tin mold on me after sitting for 3 or 4 years. @Chasing Embers is right, mold can be seen through jars much easier!

What is the overall opinion on opening some of these older tins and then transferring to jars?

I still have a decent amount of McClelland blends and other blends that have been discontinued and did not know if opening and transferring would mess with the aging process such as stunting it or causing it to lose complexity since the environment would change and fresh air is introduced.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Spoilage is part of the game. Jarring doesn't prevent weird shit from growing on your tobacco. It's added expense, time, and shelf space to jar tobacco, and while It's necessary with bulk blends, opening all the tins you own just so you can jar them?? That's crazy talk.

Don't be a Nancy-boy about it. Just open another tin of Westminster and keep smoking. puffy

TexJake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2022
Hill Country, TX
Interesting to see the opinions here. Like most of the other aspects of my pipe smoking interest, I do my best to keep from over thinking it because I am so prone to do so. I jar what I open, to keep it fresh, since I tend to bounce around with my tastes. I buy plenty of what I like for myself, but mostly as a hedge against future price/availability and less as intentional aging.

That being said, I don’t really know what to expect from all of my factory packaging… but I don’t think I want to jar or bag it all either.

Reactions: Razorback and seanv

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania

Damn! That sucks................. I'm going to have to check my tins now. I bought a 1 pound tin of GLP Westminster in 2016 or 2017 from Mars Cigars and was delighted that the tin they sent me was dated to 2010............ It's one of my all-time favorites, I love it with some age............ I'd better get to checking.
I can foresee the paranoia-fueled tin-checking frenzy spreading throughout the forum members as more people read this thread. Please excuse me while I go inspect my tins. ?

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
What about vacuum sealing tins? hmm ?
I vacuum sealed a few tins - only the special ones that I can never replace. For blends that are still sold and can easily be obtained again, I just store em in a cool dark area and hope for the best. Still got some bulgers that make me a little nervous, but I've no issues yet.

Last edited:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Jars all the way baby.

But.. I just got a few pounds of Ryback and I'm considering leaving them in the plastic bags.. The bags have changed though. They are not made out of the same thick plastic as they were before the brand was sold. So I sit on the fence for now.
This is tricky for me too. I have about 4 pounds in jars, and 5 or 6 pounds still in bags. Haven't decided truly what I want to do with that. The jars cost the same amount as the tobacco lol.