PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Started at 18, 20 now, I definitely get some odd looks. (When I'm smoking and otherwise-I kindof dress like I'm 50 anyway, so I've definitely heard the old man comment). My question to this friend would be, how do you think older men ended up smoking pipes? Did they just up and start when the turned 65?

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
erich, I told him the same thing. We have a mutual friend named Dan, a pipe smoker and retired airline pilot. He also was a fighter pilot in Vietnam. I know for a fact that he took up smoking when he was younger(this was the 60's afterall), but the argumenative friend swears that isn't so. Saying he took it up late in life. what an idiot.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lean back and assume a far-off look, and take a long satisfied puff on your pipe and say, "No, my friend,

I absolutely think you should never smoke a pipe. I don't believe it's your kind of thing at all. I wouldn't

recommend it, and I would strongly discourage you." And take another blissful sip. If her persists, say

what the acerbic editor H.L. Mencken said in response to irritating crank letters: "You may be right."

Said with bottomless lack of conviction.

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
I've got that before, more so now that I'm sporting a handlebar moustache. Although, more discouraging are those who assume I do so with irony. I have nothing against hipsters, but I wear my moustache, and smoke my pipe in earnest.
Usually my explanation is simply, "because I like it". It's delightfully unsatisfying for many people.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
My grandpa used to say this all the time. Never knew it was a Mark Twain quote. I used to follow this advice very closely. I think I need to revisit it now that I'll be visiting the in-laws next week, for one whole week. Which brings me to another quote:
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth."
I hope I've packed enough tobacco for this trip...

chagovatoloco

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 19, 2013
It's simple really; pipemen are generally a cut above the rest of the world. The fact that we tend to listen with a pipe clenched in our teeth helps preclude us from saying something equally as dumb as the next guy.
Well said.

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
I have this one friend who is quite outspoken about everything and knows alot about nothing. But, is a decent guy overall. You know the type.
Sounds like my Ex-husband. Pipe smoking is most certainly not for 'old guys'. I consider myself to be a young woman at age 31, and I love to relax with one of my pipes given the opportunity to do so.
The love of my life smokes a pipe - that was an instant attraction for me, on top of everything else. In fact, it was due in part to his encouragement that I first picked up a pipe. (He is the opposite of an opinionated fool, and is ever the gentleman. It's true, real women still want real men.)
Like most others here, when incredulousness is the tone for asking me why on earth I smoke a pipe, I simply reply, "Because I like it." :puffy:

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
I learned a long time ago that uneducated and indoctrinated is a dangerous combination. It sounds like your friend is uneducated about pipe smoking.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
He is uneducated on pipe smoking for sure, but he thinks being a trivia expert makes him intelligent. He also has never been married...no one will put up with him.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
I never explain myself to others. I only ask them another question. Example; when they ask why a pipe instead of a cigar? I reply why that shirt rather than one I like?

tgwilt

Lurker
Feb 11, 2012
Smoking a pipe is one of the few true pleasures in life. The taste of the tobacco imparts a magic that just doesn't happen with coffin nails. I don't inhale, so the health risk, while still present, is much diminished.
As to the age thing, who cares? I'm 60 and a quintessential old fart (Drive a Buick, have an AARP card, etc.) but when I see a pipe smoker, I never notice his/her age. Instead one wonders what kind of pipe and blend of tobacco is currently sending them to nirvana.

Status
Not open for further replies.