PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
Another review from TR.com on an outstanding Russ Ouellette blend:
The other reviewers have done a good job of describing the different flavors in this blend. The way all the tobaccos work together to produce a mild, yet very flavorful smoke make this blend outstanding. I particularly like the way the Turkish is dominant at the start of the smoke, it is a wonderful way to begin a memorable experience. When the Latakias make their way to center stage, they do it in a gradual way, gently nudging the Turkish to one side while the Virginias are in the background, adding body to the blend. This tobacco always reminds me of Cornell and Diehl's #416 Plantation Evening. While they don't have exactly the same ingredients, they are both outstanding medium English blends. As much as I like P/E, I must say that I like this one even better.
Packing, lighting, and number of relights are all better than average. I'm not sure how he has done it, but Russ has produced a wife-friendly Latakia blend. My wife remarked that it smelled good to her, which is pretty high praise. Pricing on TTM is also good, even though Pipes and Cigars had a price increase last summer. You get what you pay for, great tobacco.
Ratings for Ten to Midnight: Taste- 18 out of 20; Packing and Lighting- 8 out of 10; Value- 9 out of 10. 35 out of a possible 40 points equals a big **** rating for Ten to Midnight.
Smokey

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
It used to be one of my go to's. Then I found "Larry's Blend" by Russ O as well. It's the same exact thing but more Lats and orientals and already broken instead. I love it even more than TTM.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Good review smokey, I think you've captured 10to12 very well.

I've been enjoying this one myself for some time but Nathaniels comment regarding Larry's Blend has me excited. I've a 1oz sample of LB coming in the post just now, looking forward to comparing it against the 10to12.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I bought small amounts of both, several years back. Smoked 10 to 12 first - liked it a lot. Then I smoked Larry's, and was totally blown away. Very good stuff. Not an every day smoke, but high on my list.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
Larry's Blend is an awesome smoke, too. One advantage it has over TTM is that it's a ribbon instead of a pressed cake. TTM is a pretty hard tobacco to break down, more so than other pressed tobaccos I've tried. This could be part of its' secret, though; the pressing melds the flavors together. They're both great smokes and a tribute to Russ's talent.
Smokey

Status
Not open for further replies.