PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmojo

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2017
I bought a tin on a whim, adding it to an order of Cerberus. The first bowl put it on my rotation, and by the end of the first tin, it was at the top. It is difficult to classify. It tastes rather like a slightly mild Balkan, but according to the tin, contains no Latakia - toasted Virginias, dark-fired Kentucky, Perique and unflavored Cavendish. The flavor is complex with hearty body and some spice, nicely balanced. The cut is ribbon, a bit coarser than many. It is on the moist side out of the tin, and even with some drying time, takes some effort to light and keep lit, but well worth the effort. There is absolutely no muddy aftertaste as with some English and Balkan blends.

A good bet for English, Balkan and VaPer smokers looking for variety without straying too far from their comfort zones.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds very nice -- good news because I've had an unopened tin aging for a while, maybe two years. Thank you for the review. Always good to hear something I have is worth smoking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cortez, unsweetened Cavendish in proportion and used well can give nice burn and balance to a blend, so it could be a good thing ... oh a it adds a little volume to the smoke usually in a good way.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Sounds extremely tasty. The unflavored Cavendish in small amounts mostly fades into the Burley, but I understand reluctance regarding Cavendish, which takes over flavor if too sweet or too much is used in the blend.

oldmojo

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2017
I am not a Cavendish fan, but in this blend, it plays a harmonizing role rather than a discernible solo part. It's deep in the viola section.

tomnernas2ndson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2011
Nebraska
How much of an impact does the perique make in the blend? The mix sounds interesting:I am not much of a perique fan however. Thanks

jmagen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2016
I find it bland. Not as bland as OGS, Sixpence, or St. James Woods, but just plain unremarkable.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"but according to the tin, contains no Latakia"
According to Tobaccoreviews.com...
"Virginia, Dark-Fired, Black Cavendish, Perique and a hint of latakia"
...so make of that what you will. I would fancy trying the blend but if it contains even only a hint of Latakia then it's not for me.
Regards,
Jay.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
El Nino sounds right up my alley, I love blends that have just a hint of latakia, so I just added a couple tins to my P&C order.

Thanks guys for helping me spend more money and enabling my TAD! :P

Status
Not open for further replies.