PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
I have a killer semi hollow telecaster body that needs to be completed. It's routed for standard tele bridge but mini humbucker/p90 in the neck. Thing is, I really want the p90 in the bridge! Not the neck! I've had many people tell me it's not a good Idea to have that bridge piece rerouted to accept the p90. I know that quarter pounder tele pickups are close to a p90, but now I'm also thinking maybe a hotrails in that spot, as they are the same size as a single coil pickup. Also, I have no intention of

Using anything in the neck position. I've always wanted a single pick up tele...
So here's the questions:

Rout it for a p90?

Quarter pounder to get CLOSE to a p90?

Hotrails to go a completely opposite but still cool direction?

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Your heart wants the P90. The End. Best pickup ever.
It's the best pickup ever because you have to buck the hum, that is, it makes more sounds that aren't tone than any other pickup. Clicks, buzzes, chicks, clucks, all kinds of sound. Yes, it's harder to play, but it makes more sounds. That's your answer, now go make some music :)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've been playing guitar for 52 years. Find a good tech and go for it if it fits your style. Fralins are good pickups. What are you looking to put in it?

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
If the body has any vintage value don't route it for a P90. But if not absolutely go for it. The combination of a P90 and 25.5 inch scale is wonderful. You'll love it!

schaum

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2014
I'd go with the hotrails, but only your choice will make you happy. I'm glad I don't have to choose. LOL

ithelouniverse

Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
@papipeguy I'm Actually looking at fralins! Found them for 105... Not bad
I think this means I might have to get a second body and do one of each, Cuz after looking at hot rails I'm fired up about those too...

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Kinman (I believe he's in Australia) are supposed to be very good too. http://www.kinman.com/index.php
Bill Lawrence used to live in my town then went to California. he's also a pickup legend. http://www.billlawrenceusa.com/

aaronbrill

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2012
Another pickup you might consider would be the Lollar Charlie Christian for a Tele bridge. Before I started making my own pickups, I had his pickups in both my Tele and Esquire and they were great. I never tried the Charlie Christian bridge pickup, but I still have his CC neck pickup in my Tele. While they don't sound quite like a P90, they are definitely in the same family. The original version was the predecessor to the P90.
Aaron

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
It is always interesting the varied, non-pipe threads on this site. Unfortunately, I can only comment on that and offer no real help to your situation. The pickups in my guitars are the ones that were in there when I bought them. Some day, and that day may never come, the pickups will be the real weak link in my guitar tone...not my playing ability!!

ithelouniverse

Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Oh. I think I've found a winning plan. Joe Barden's Danny Gatton signature tele bridge pickup. I AM gonna stick with my decision to keep that neck routing empty.
Next body I buy I'll have it routed for at least one if not 2 p90s. I'm really a sucker for telecasters with a single pickup. Leo Fender knew what he was doing when he designed the esquire...

Next one will be solid body too.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
A P90 in a Tele? Hhhmm. I used to own a '59 Gibson ES 125 with a P90. Can't see how that would work with a tele in the bridge. i have a Japanese Tele, with the "hot" pickups. The neck pickup is the reason I bought it. Beautiful, full tone.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I have a squier teli I modded with p90s. Its a killer guitar! Fender also has a thinline model with p90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.