PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Some blends are almost universally praised and admired. Others don't get much respect. After going through a variety of blends over the years, heavy latakia blends, aged virginias, etc., I've been smoking a rather tame blend called Danish Delight that gets little respect on Tobaccoreviews.com, but which works for me as my basic smoke these days.
Do any of you have a favorite blend that doesn't rate a ticker tape parade?

gentlemanjerry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
For me it's Rattray's Sweet Fragrant and Terry Red - I've never heard anyone mention these in the forums.

They are not "cheap" tobaccos.....they are "mild" aros.....but I enjoy them a great deal!.......Hey,I enjoy what's good - whether popular or not!

All of Former's tobaccos seem to be raked over the coals on the review sites, some are even mislabeled on there as aromatics, when they are all pure and yummy Virginias and VaPers. Oh well, because no one else wants them, I can get a tin from my B&M for about $6, more for me :D
But, it might also be because they don't label what is in the tins at all. I've yet to figure out why a tobacco company would do that. And, I think most of the bad reviews stem from people seeing it labeled as an aro, and without ever trying the blend, they just write reviews to be writing reviews. Bashing aros seems to be the soup du jour on there, which just further shows that many on there haven't even popped a tin of some of these blends.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
I'm a huge fan of Lakelands, despite their "old lady perfume" and "soap" smell that they get a bad rap for.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Dunhill's Royal Yacht. Hated it at first, learned how to smoke the best out of it, now I love the stuff.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
It would be Walnut for me. Although it is a well-known and old codger type tobacco, it is not usually listed on anyone's favorite list. I know there are many that are better smokes than this, but as far as a good, reliable, don't have to think about it smoke, every day, this would be it for me, right now.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Smokies Smoke-Ease. A thoroughly unconventional Turkish blend that tastes like no other mixture I've tried, and I've sampled literally hundreds of blends over the last 20-plus years. It's got some latakia, cavendish and VA as well, but the orientals definitely steal the show. I suspect that it would be quite a big seller if the Gatlin-Burlier drew more online business.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@doctorhoss. Smokies Smoke-Ease is a fine blend for sure! I tried some last year and bought a few ounces. Next time you go back to the Gatlin-Burlier, give their Cumberland blend a try. It's Smokies Smoke-Ease with more black cavendish, it makes for a very pleasant smoke!

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Gentlemanjerry I think Rattray's Terry Red is the best cherry on the market! Can't smoke it around my wife instant asthma attack.

Cosmicfolklore,

I also think Formers tobaccos are great, I'm rather fond of the "Straight Grain" flake.

Me I like Mac Baren's Vanilla cream, flake or the mixture.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've started smoking more than 2 or 3 bowls a day and find myself thinking about the tobacco expense. I'm good with smoking a less expensive blend for half of them, but I really haven't adopted any blend selection that would be easier on the wallet. But when I do make such a selection, I usually chose Patton Oriental Dusk, Cool Hand Fluke and Crossroads.

lurch76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2013
@petes03 and doctorhoss I am working on Cumberland now. It is an interesting blend. Depending on the pipe you smoke it in is what the dominant flavor is. It may be in my head but some pipes seem to bring out the latakia and others seem to bring out the cavendish more.

Status
Not open for further replies.