PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I have a pot simply labelled 'My Mix' for that very purpose...in fact am smoking a bowl of it right now!
Part of the pleasure in doing this is that no two bowls are quite the same but all are guaranteed to be pleasant.
Regards,
Jay.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
In my house, it is called the Shelf Blend. There is a Vaper, an English, and there may even be an aromatic one soon.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
To be honest, that is all I'm really smoking right now. House Franken-blends, and I'm lovin' it. A while back my open jar collection was about 20 jars that were all getting pretty low, so I broken them down into categories and and mixed all the english/balkan types together, all the aromatics together and all of the virginia-dominant types together and put them into three jars. That and some black Cavendish and Mix 79 I left alone. It's been working out real nice. Very tasty stuff. I mainly just rotate between those three.
When its all gone and I have to go to my cellar, I will bring up just a few and keep it all to that. Once you open something that's been aging a good while, I think I prefer to smoke it down rather than have it laying around for months with the jar opened dozens of times and a lot of air in it.

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
P&C sells a Best of the Rest blend:
"Every day we weigh out pipe tobacco to be delivered to your door step. At the end of the day, we take all the left over tobacco mix it up and sell it as Best of the Rest. This Blend is constantly changing. Sold by the pound."
Sounds interesting.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I toss my scraps, odds and ends into the "mix" jar, which I dip into for a smoke frequently (especially when I'm feeling indecisive). I could blame frugality, except I really like it this way. :puffy:

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I've tried the Best of the Rest a couple of times and it was not what I expected. Bought months apart, both looked like they were one tobacco, not random floor sweepings of a mix of types, like a bag of ribbon cut OTC that had just lost its label. One was pretty good, the other less so. But I saw no evidence of any variations in cut, color, flavor, etc., that would suggest a mix of random tobaccos. I saw no (what I would call) quality tobaccos in either bag, which is why I guess it sold for $15/pound.

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
Lots of blends from the early days of my smoking are dumped in. Blends I wish I would have put up until my palate and abilities matured. Plus lots of remnants and cigar clippings. Now that I think about it, I either need to start smoking it or buy some blending tobaccos to make it enjoyable. Think I will have a bowl or two when I get home. My mostly contains some EMP and Nightcap, C&D riverboat gambler, cajun kake, and the friars, most of a tin of ODF, too many hearth and home blends to think of and clippings from probably 50 cigars caps. That's just off of the top of my head. More than likely there's at least a little aro in it as well.

dogmoby

Lurker
Feb 7, 2017
I have a jar set aside for remains, but use it to line the bottom of the bowl since I don't usually smoke the bottom, especially on cobs. That way I am not wasting tobacco on the bottom of the bowl. I will try and smoke a full bowl of the scraps mixture and see how that turns out.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
toobfreak reminded me that besides my "House Blend" which is VA/Bur (mainly) there is an "English/Balkan House Blend" on my shelf too. Everything Lat is thrown in every now and then....

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Aah, this thread got me in the mood and I mixed another jar of "Home Blend" from tobaccos of my cellar which I didn´t like particularly. A lot of flake scraps in there too. Up to now it smells promising from the jar but I will give it a bit of blending time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The random mix is kind of fun, especially when you get a good mix, like winning the lottery. Another approach is to round out enough for a bowl or two with a specific blending leaf or complementary blend and smoke it up that way, not as exciting but often excellent smokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.