Grousemoor Plug: Sliced, Diced, or Spiced?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
One of my favorite tobaccos from England is Grousemoor. The issue I have with the plug is of course preparation. With a knife, I can prep a small mason jar in about 15 minutes, but no matter what, it never transcends a Ready Rub consistency, which isn't too bad. My favorite way to prep it and the way I perceive it smoking the most flavorfully is using my spice mill in a method similar to @georged .

What a great tasting, and to my tastes, a somewhat mild English blend with lots of flavor notes.

What are you experiences with Grousemoor Plug?

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I love the stuff. Until last year, I only smoked the tinned offering. The plug allows me to cut thin slices that I rub out to the consistency of a shag cut, which I perfer. Have you had a chance to try Cannon Plug?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have smoked tins of Grousemoor as well as the plug. The tinned stuff burns a tad hot for my tastes and the plug can be rather rewarding if prepped carefully.

Reactions: Egg Shen

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
I haven't tried this blend yet. The trouble with lakelands, for me, is that once you've tried one, you've kinda tried them all. Latakia is a bit like that for me too. Haven't tried any plug varients though, gonna put this one on the list.

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
I haven't tried this blend yet. The trouble with lakelands, for me, is that once you've tried one, you've kinda tried them all. Latakia is a bit like that for me too. Haven't tried any plug varients though, gonna put this one on the list.
Strong disagree.
Bob’s is absolutely nothing at all like Bosun yet they’re both considered Lakelands. That’s just 1 example, I’m sure there are others.

With a few exceptions, I would tend to agree with you about Latakia.

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
Strong disagree.
Bob’s is absolutely nothing at all like Bosun yet they’re both considered Lakelands. That’s just 1 example, I’m sure there are others.

With a few exceptions, I would tend to agree with you about Latakia.
Is Bob's a lakeland though? If it is, you're 100% correct, because it is very different. For me, the latakia is too present for it to be a lakeland. Yet it isn't an English. Miscellaneous blend perhaps?

Reactions: Auxsender

Auxsender

Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Is Bob's a lakeland though? If it is, you're 100% correct, because it is very different. For me, the latakia is too present for it to be a lakeland. Yet it isn't an English. Miscellaneous blend perhaps?
Bob’s is made in Kendal in the South Lakeland District by Gawith, Hogarth and Company and it is obviously topped; don’t these facts make it a Lakeland tobacco? I may very well be mistaken and I’m open to being schooled.

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
Bob’s is made in Kendal in the South Lakeland District by Gawith, Hogarth and Company and it is obviously topped; don’t these facts make it a Lakeland tobacco? I may very well be mistaken and I’m open to being schooled.
I would say not. For it to be a lakeland it has to have that floral, geranium topping (or casing, never know the difference). Just being made in the Lakelands doesn't necessarily make it a lakeland. Although a majority of GH tobaccos are indeed lakelands.

Reactions: tobakenist

Auxsender

Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
I would say not. For it to be a lakeland it has to have that floral, geranium topping (or casing, never know the difference). Just being made in the Lakelands doesn't necessarily make it a lakeland. Although a majority of GH tobaccos are indeed lakelands.
Perhaps you’re right.
To clarify, I did include that it needed to be topped, I just didn’t specify with which sauce.

FYI, according to Greg Pease, casing is applied before the tobacco reaches the blender, topping is applied during blending by the blender.

Reactions: WerewolfOfLondon

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
Perhaps you’re right.
To clarify, I did include that it needed to be topped, I just didn’t specify with which sauce.

FYI, according to Greg Pease, casing is applied before the tobacco reaches the blender, topping is applied during blending by the blender.
Ah I see, my bad, apologies.

I thought the casing/toping thing was that one was applied during the blending, so it is present throughout the blend, the other is just lightly sprayed over the finished blend. Or something like that, I dunno. GP would certianly be the man who knows.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
For it to be a Lakeland it has to be made in the Lakeland district.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Grousemoor is a traditional plug. Therefore, best prepared in the traditional way. Sharp knife, paper thin slices, slow & gentle rubbing with one index finger into the palm of the other hand. The compressed flake springing into life as it changes to a fine shag.

A mild smoke but a very tasty one, very nice on a summer’s morning.