Group 1, Very Small Bowls, What Are They For?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@foggymountain, which is what I'm about to do with a SMALL bowl of the anaesthetic GH&Co Dark Flake!

bpftc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2016
Question for the group: Is there anything wrong with smoking half a bowl when you want a shorter smoke? I only have 3 pipes, a 4, a 5, and what I assume is a 6 but it is only marked HT so who really knows. When I want to smoke for a shorter period of time I just put less tobacco in it. Is there something inherently wrong with this technique? Should I really be using a smaller bowl and filling it full?

Interesting, I have slowed down my cadence quite a bit since I posted in this thread two years ago. I can now savor those tiny bowls for about an hour, especially if it has a strong flavored tobacco in it, like a rope or twist.

But, I love having a variety of sizes and shapes of pipes to chose from, and I enjoy trying to learn how each pipes smokes best and how different tobaccos react or taste in each.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
BPFTC - I usually fill a large bowl all the way anyway and just smoke what I want and come back to it later. Besides most virgnia's are even better after doing that. Delayed Gratification Technique or DGT.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
My 3 year old daughter (way back in the day) blew bubbles with them. She also microwaved my first digital "sport watch". Creative kid!

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
My MM Mizzou keeps me sipping for close to 45 minutes on loosely packed tobacco. Cabbie's Mixture coins in the same pipe pass the hour and I have to stop. I don't think I'd manage a large bowl.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I'd reckon group 1 pipes are for smoking tobacco in.
2618582.jpg

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
Although I generally prefer smaller pipes because I smoke mostly very full-flavoured latakia blends, group 3 is probably the smallest I can stand. Any less than that is just not gonna satiate me.

Status
Not open for further replies.