Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
A friend in aquaculture stopped by this afternoon, and left me with four choice rainbow-trout for supper. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed these wonderful fish, and this recipe is simply amazing (and should work for pretty much any freshwater fish).
4 each Trout; approx 0.5-0/75lbs, cleaned (head and tail on)

8 rashers Bacon

1/4 cup Brown Sugar

1/4 cup Maple Syrup

1 Medium Onion

1 Lemon
Combine Brown Sugar and Maple Syrup, mix into a thick paste. Slice Onion and 1/2 of Lemon into thin (1/4") slices (cut remainder of lemon into wedges as garnish).* Wash and pat dry trout. Lay out a length of tinfoil slightly longer than the trout. Place strip of bacon on tin-foil, and brush on Syrup/Sugar mix onto bacon. Lay fish on bacon; then brush mix into gut-cavity. Stuff cavity with slices of onion and lemon, then brush more Sugar/Syrup mix onto exposed skin. Lay piece of bacon on top of fish, and wrap tightly.

Grill at medium-low (350-375) for 15 - 20 minutes, until fish is flaky.
*As I have an aversion to chewy bacon, I tend to par-fry my rashers to 1/2 cooked at this point

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
That sounds good. I don't have any trout, but I've got plenty of salmon, and I think it's worth a try.

Always looking for new ways to do fish.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
After reading this post, I went fishing for two hours after my 12 hr shift overnight. Specifically targeting trout(spotted sea trout here in Mosquito Lagoon). I didn't get a single hit... and now I dislike you very much schmitzbitz. :evil:
And the thing is... it was perfect glass for top water lures; yet still nothing! :roll:
Oh well... try again tomorrow I suppose. :|

terry

Oct 7, 2011
Fly fishig for trout,,,one of my favorite sports. Sounds like a good recipe to try.

fishineric

Lurker
Feb 5, 2012
You can use the same recipe but bake in a dutch oven. I've no idea about time/temp. Just pile on coals and simmer until it smells too good to wait any longer.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Seriously though..... looks like I'll be picking up some trout this weekend!!

Thanks Adam!!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Hmmm, sounds delicous. I haven't had fresh trout for a long time. We cook all of our fresh fish on the grill, using wooden planks soaked in wine, orange juice, etc. The planks are a great way to prepare fish.

terry

Oct 7, 2011
However, I fillet my trout like any other fresh water fish..get the skin off and most of the bones out before I cook them. It takes the wild fishy taste out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.