Greetings from Western North Carolina!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I’ve been smoking a pipe for just under a month now. I smoke a few times a day, between 3-5 bowls. Currently sitting here puffing on a bowl of Newminster No. 400 Superior Navy Flake out of my new Willard Apple briar that I received in the mail today. I also have a few Missouri Meerschaum cobs: a straight Legend, and a bent Missouri Pride.

Newminster No. 400 was my first smoke, and thanks to a few YouTube videos I was able to smoke it and taste it properly and I just fell in love with Virginia flakes right away. I’ve almost exclusively smoked Virginia based flakes since I’ve started, only receiving my first English blend this week (Peterson’s Nightcap) which I enjoyed.

In addition I have some Molto Dolce (I really wanted some sweet tasting tobacco, just didn’t realize what I really wanted was naturally sweet like Newminster No. 400, not sweet smelling aromatic), I have some Sutliff Sweet Virginia ready rubbed, a pouch of Half & Half, Peter Stokkebye’s Luxury Navy, Twist, and Bullseye flakes, as well as some King Frog Morton On The Bayou (Bullseye showed me how much I love perique), and a few tins of Cornell & Diehl’s Carolina Red Flake ‘22.

Glad to be a member of this forum!

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Yes sir that’s about an hour away from me! Good to know there’s some pipe smokers in the area, I’ve yet to meet any irl. Do you know of any current pipe clubs?
I just recently found a pipe club in my area. However, I'm not aware of any in western NC.
I have some buddies in Highlands/Cashiers area though so I'll ask around and see what they know.
I think most clubs are more central or further east.

Reactions: dreams of perique

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
It’s fantastic! I don’t have a lot to take reference from but I personally like it. Planning to put some in the cellar when I order bulk next. What’s in your rotation currently?
Shrewd move. The consensus is that it benefits greatly from aging.

I don't have a rotation...perhaps someday I will! I say that because a couple of years ago, I basically bought an "insta-cellar." Probably a 70/30 split of aromatics to non-aromatics, and over the past two years, I've been going through all the blends, trading/selling certain ones, and adding others I liked more to replace them. I'm at the point now where I have about three dozen active blends in jars, and about the same number of sealed tins, none of which I plan on opening anytime soon. Add to that about a dozen samples, and that pretty much sums up the "State of the Cellar."

But I do have seasonal preferences, so perhaps I technically do have a rotation after all. Summertime usually finds me smoking VAs, VaPers, and the occasional light aromatic. Ashton Gold Rush, Sutliff 507-C VA slices, GLP Windjammer, Lane Ltd. 125th Anniversary, Drew Estate Grand Central, and Mac Baren Original Choice are some of my favorites at this time. As we move into autumn, my preferences seem to shift more toward burley-based, English/balkans, and heavier aromatics. My afternoon smoke w/coffee is looking to be C&D Eight State Burley, a recent favorite of mine. But I also have a sample of Drucquer & Sons Loch Ness to try, so who knows? 🤷‍♂️ When you have this many blends on hand, indecision sometimes becomes a factor, and as W.C. Fields once said, "I used to be indecisive, but now, I'm not so sure."

Reactions: jpmcwjr

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome from Florida. Here are a few blends I think you might enjoy.
Capstan Blue Flake- Virginia
Peterson Flake- Virginia
Peterson Navy Rolls- Virginia/Perique
Mac Baren Old Dark Fired Virginia/Kentucky
Savinelli Doblone d'Oro Virginia/ Kentucky/ Perique

Reactions: jpmcwjr