PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I spent a great day up in the mountains on Saturday, I know its not a big deal to some but being someone who's always spent time camping and hiking my entire life, wether with my father and grandfather or with the scouts or many time just alone. I have spent a great amount of my life throughout the various Pacific ranges and thought the Appalachians as well. (although home will always be the Sierra Nevada's and even the Rockies) ... now I bring all that up because its been almost a year since I've even set foot on any mountain, hell! not even a god damn hill!. I've been getting very antsy and just onry, well at least more so than usual (according to my wife :lol: ) anyways... we took a day trip up to Big Bear, I'm not a fan of, just so everyone understands, the touristy side of this place as its a ski resort. There were tons, well at least to me, of people... I get away from towns and cities to get away from people only to be around more people? but whatever... we did however take a nice hike throughout some small trails, it was fantastic. Breathing in the cool air, feeling the crunch of the snow, everything having that light grey tint to it and a few times having the sun break though and everything just become vibrant. I felt myself being re-charged a bit with every passing hour. I love the smell of winter mixed with the pines... smells like home. The smell of my tobacco (gaslight for those that are wondering) smelled even better and tasted even better than usual. Every part of my soul wanted, no!... Yearned! to get on a horse and just keep going further and further away from civilization, being pulled in like a moth to a light, away from all the bullshit! no phones, no computers, no people! that there is my idea of heaven! I actually felt sad when we left and I was driving out,

My wife and I have been working and saving towards buying some land in Idaho, preferably attached to the Rockies somewhere, but would ideally have it in the mountain range itself! So this really help push us even harder towards that goal! For sure don't want to go even another month without going back! actually maybe in two weeks I can take a drive up to the Inyo National Forest... yeah that sounds right!

Anyways... that was a bit long winded just to say I really needed some time away from the grind! Sorry I only have the one picture as I don't take many pictures when I'm in these situations, I take pictures with my mind! :P
We, the wife and I, made a quick stop to walk on Big Bear Lake as it was frozen over. We are standing a few feet from the edge on the lake... wasn't many people here actually, which was very nice.
bxQsByS.jpg

:puffy:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Sweeet ... Big Bear is really nice and I COMPLETELY understand the need to get out there and away from civilization.
Glad you had a good time!! :puffy:

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
That's awesome. I can relate to that antsy, ornery feeling if I'm cooped up too long.
Wishing you good luck towards that land purchase.
Edit : I rarely rarely take pictures when I'm "out there" either.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Awesome. Glad you had a nice trip. And thanks for sharing. By the way, what's happened to that guy that was dating your daughter? I hope he is still alive :)

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
I'm envious. Work, kids and pipe&drum band keep me very busy throughout the year. Summer is my time to hit trails and lakes. I laughed at your comment about taking pictures with your mind. My wife doesn't get why I don't take pictures...I tell her I just like to live it and enjoy it instead of worrying that I've got it framed right for later.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Awesome post captainprophesy! Thank you sir for the little fantasy trip I made there just now. Your words made me feel the trip within my soul.

Peace brother(and wife)

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
CP:
Great post and greater pix of you and your lovely bride! I hope the two of you can turn that Idaho dream into a reality.
Wishing you the best,
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.