PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Finland & Sweden are now in way worse than England in this regard, countries where standard 1.75 oz 1.Mc Baren is close to $ 40 and where the Government has declared their aim to stop consumption of tobacco products till 2035, and where Customs authorities simply confiscate commercial parcels containing tobacco and then eventually destroys them, even though such measures go against European Commission legislature about the free commerce between all the member states,
I know. When ever I send you anything you have wait for me to post it to you from Vaasa or Helsinki!

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
It’s funny cause I’m blissfully ignorant of the 🌎 outside my immediate concern…family, friends, work, etc. I no longer watch 📺 news programming & I’m all the better for it. 🙂 Apparently, 🇬🇧 is having their issues similar to the 🇺🇸…just not as large a scale.

Anyways, Understanding that Customs has been cracking down on 🍂 shipped into 🇬🇧 from the likes of Smokingpipes, etc…have you guys across the pond had good success receiving 📦s from friends over here? Or have those 📦s been charged too? ☕

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafErikson

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
🇬🇧This is to be read in your best Winston Churchill voice, its a play on his famous speech🇬🇧

I have, myself, full confidence that if all pipe smokers do their duty, if no pipe is neglected, and if the best arrangements for smoking are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to smoke a pipe on our Island home, to pipe along as we ride out the storm of this anti smoking war, and to out smoke the menace of tobacco tax, if necessary for years, if necessary alone on the verandah. At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of every Peterson, BBB, Barling and Dunhill toking smoker-every single one of them. That is the will of pipers. The British pipers and the French pipers, linked together in their cause and in their need of good tobacco, will defend to the death their right to smoke, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their piping strength. Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of HM Taxation and Customs and all the odious apparatus of the tax office, we shall not flag or fail. We shall smoke on to the end, we shall pipe in France, we shall pipe on the seas and oceans, we shall pipe with growing confidence and growing strength and fill the air with pipe smoke, we shall defend our Islands right to pipe and smoke, whatever the cost may be, we shall smoke on the beaches, we shall smoke on the landing grounds, we shall smoke in the fields and in the streets, we shall smoke in the hills; we shall never extinguish the ember, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and unable to smoke, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Pipe Smoking Association, would carry on the struggle, until, in God’s good time, Cornell and Diehl, with all its new blends, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old pipers.

RandyMcgrabb

Lurker
Feb 26, 2024
Cornwall, UK
I was shocked when I ordered 5x50g tins of tobacco from Tobacco Pipes in the US. I mistakenly forgot about the duty on tobacco from abroad and waited with bated breath for the customs charge. Three weeks after ordering it arrived at my local sorting office and my post lady delivered a grey slip with a customs charge.

The tobacco I ordered was around £50 + £30 shipping, the duty was £108 including £8 Royal Fail Handling fee :( Lesson learned won't be doing that again. I will savor my £38 per tin of tobacco.....every bloody bit.

pepperandjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2023
West Carpathian ToodleOoh
A certain US tobacco vendor known for delivering to locales with intrusive taxes commented that officials processing the packages' inflow don't have the time to scrutinize them for a suspect origin address. These packages were prepared discretely.

If these officials can screen smokingpipes address, the technology must have changed?

Durhamshire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2024
UK
I haven't bought tobacco from abroad, but have bought a few pipes. Always wanted a Boswell. Eventually ordered one during lock down. It wasn't cheap, but happy with price. Was then charged £50+ customs/postal charges. Was peed but paid. Love me Boswell. It ain't enormous but larger than 'normal'. Not long after I went on Boswell site looking for notha pipe. Disappointed to find they had stopped shipping to UK. At least have one. And still have Northern Briars & Eldritch Pipes.

Attachments

• 20240314_214140.jpg
    20240314_214140.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 9

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
I was shocked when I ordered 5x50g tins of tobacco from Tobacco Pipes in the US. I mistakenly forgot about the duty on tobacco from abroad and waited with bated breath for the customs charge. Three weeks after ordering it arrived at my local sorting office and my post lady delivered a grey slip with a customs charge.

The tobacco I ordered was around £50 + £30 shipping, the duty was £108 including £8 Royal Fail Handling fee :( Lesson learned won't be doing that again. I will savor my £38 per tin of tobacco.....every bloody bit.
If the shipping label says "Pipe tobacco" you should only have been charged £43.50 for duty on 250 grams of pipe tobacco. If the contents label says "Tobacco" you will be charged duty for rolling tobacco which seems to tally with the £100 or so.

I am on the cusp of ordering about 600g of tobacco from Smokingpipes.com and emailed them, and they have assured me their courier labels it as Pipe tobacco.
Does anyone have any experience of ordering Tobacco for the UK from Smokingipipes?
Image 09-04-2024 at 22.34.jpeg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
If the shipping label says "Pipe tobacco" you should only have been charged £43.50 for duty on 250 grams of pipe tobacco. If the contents label says "Tobacco" you will be charged duty for rolling tobacco which seems to tally with the £100 or so.

I am on the cusp of ordering about 600g of tobacco from Smokingpipes.com and emailed them, and they have assured me their courier labels it as Pipe tobacco.
Does anyone have any experience of ordering Tobacco for the UK from Smokingipipes?
View attachment 302131
The last time I did I got stung with almost £150 on two 50g tins.

• Angry
Reactions: beerandbaccy

RandyMcgrabb

Lurker
Feb 26, 2024
Cornwall, UK

Morning, here's a couple of photos of my Duty charge:

I double-checked it again and it clearly states that this is pipe tobacco.

You'll get the charges no matter what US company you deal with.

Good Luck though :)
The last time I did I got stung with almost £150 on two 50g tins.

That's bad, I bloody hope you enjoyed those tins.

UK DUTY CHARGE (1).pngUK DUTY CHARGE (2).JPG

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
Morning, here's a couple of photos of my Duty charge:

I double-checked it again and it clearly states that this is pipe tobacco.

You'll get the charges no matter what US company you deal with.

Good Luck though :)

That's bad, I bloody hope you enjoyed those tins.

View attachment 302266View attachment 302267
I've rethought it through, on advice from @WerewolfOfLondon I'm going to buy some bits from Estervals in Germany as it seems that there's a better chance of correct or avoiding duty. Can't get Captain Black but they have a few C & D tins, so although I can't try the Stovepipe I'll get the Autumn Evening and some 7 seas. I'll report back with duty charges so fingers crossed!!

Reactions: WerewolfOfLondon

RandyMcgrabb

Lurker
Feb 26, 2024
Cornwall, UK
I've rethought it through, on advice from @WerewolfOfLondon I'm going to buy some bits from Estervals in Germany as it seems that there's a better chance of correct or avoiding duty. Can't get Captain Black but they have a few C & D tins, so although I can't try the Stovepipe I'll get the Autumn Evening and some 7 seas. I'll report back with duty charges so fingers crossed!!
I'm going to check them out, some C & D blends were next on my list from the US but not now :(

The best of luck to you, fingers and legs crossed!

Reactions: beerandbaccy

ThebigFil

Lurker
Feb 15, 2024
UK SW Plymouth
T
Couldn’t watch more than two minutes of that I’m afraid, fake news & photoshopped. I’ve been to Plymouth, it’s beautiful. Like Portsmouth & other naval towns that got flattened in the war. Rising resplendent like a phoenix out of the ashes, modern redevelopment has worked wonders.

If you want the real lowdown on life in the mean streets of Britain, you should study the informative & entertaining videos done by Telly Savalas. Pure gold.

I think Aberdeen up in Scotland is one of Britain’s most depressing towns. Everything is grey. The buildings all made of grey granite, the sea’s grey, skys grey, people moping about the grey streets all with grey faces. As you drive into Aberdeen, you pass by a huge cemetery. A mass of grey tombstones & huge grey crosses. Feel sorry for the Aberdonians, even in death they can’t escape the greyness of it all.

listen to old Kojak however & you’d think Aberdeen was like the swinging gardens of Babylon!

Thank you for your kind words on Plymouth!

ThebigFil

Lurker
Feb 15, 2024
UK SW Plymouth
Here Here! Born and raised in Plymouth for a large percentage of my life and can still see it across the river.
giphy.gif
Any good Tobacco shops over there?

• Haha
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123