PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I hope they go online in a big way. They can operate out of a basement and still make more money. The key is finding a good, honest web developer and investing in a well-made website that they can manage themselves.
Creating and running a topnotch website costs money - but not as much as over priced rent (and in the no-so-long run, they can get way more customers.)

Jul 20, 2010
Joe and Ted did NOT own the space back in 1988.
As stated on BOTL, trying to find a space in teh span of a month while managing the chaos at the store is a PITA. Doable I admit, but One of the owners is out of town on needed family leave and the other, well he's the one with his nuts in the vice.
FYI Kevin, when Jason talked to Greg Pease, he was all star struck :P
S

irishflake

Might Stick Around
Jun 30, 2012
Michigan
studioapts_zps75637659.jpg

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Couldn't they go right outside the city. If they have a loyal following I wouldn't think it would matter that much. Although I don't know the store or the area as I live in humble Tennessee.

Jul 20, 2010
Well it's not even so much a matter of finding an appropriate smoking venue per se, it's just finding a space. But now that you mention it, the red tape involved in SF over tobacconists and smoking is pretty ridiculous. I hear rumors that a shop is supposed to open in Oakland, heard that rumor for almost two years now.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Coming from a landlords point of view, I don't know how they could not comes to terms in the 6 years they have been going month to month. It sounds like the landlord was trying to jack up Grants big time and they couldn't afford the new rent. So the landlord kept them on a T.A W( tenant at will) until they found someone to pay a much higher price. Grants should have had long ago found a new space and moved, especially during the time when commercial rents bottomed out in 2009. They should have realized the landlord was not dealing in good faith and had no intention of signing them long term. Now they are in a bind and rents have increased dramatically since 09. Not the soundest of business plans.

sfduke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2012
For those planning to stop by the shop before the official close, it appears the shop is already closed. Stopped by today and all the windows were covered and shop closed.

Jul 20, 2010
We'll be open tomorrow. Spent the last few days at the shop re-organizing things to make the transition easier. What I can tell you is that big things are in the works and Joe, one of the owners assures me it's going to be awesome. Sign up at the website, grantspipeshop.com to be added to the newsletter and that'll keep you guys updated. Tell Jason I sent you. And wish him a happy belated ;)
Please DO come in as we wind down the final days at the market street location!
Sascha

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Sascha
Being as I am on the right coast I won't be able to stop in before Grant's closes shop.... However I just joined the email list so I can be kept up to date! I will be in SF before the end of the year and hope to have a new location to visit!!

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I'll be in the city tomorrow morning for work related business. I'll stop by the store, I'm sure I can find a couple of items that I "need" while I'm there. There was a Stanwell Poker in there on my last few visits that I quite liked...
Anyway, hope things work out. I tend to frequent Grant's because I have occasional business in San Francisco. Otherwise, it will have to be Mission Pipe Shop out in Pleasanton for me, Telford's is just too far!!

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Funny, I've signed up for the newsletter a few times going back to around 2007-2008 and I have yet to receive a email from Grants??? I'll sign up again.
I was originally planning on going today (Tuesday) but I don't get paid until tomorrow (Wed) I hope they'll be open, I'll give them a call and find out or if Sascha knows??
Edit- Just signed up again for the newsletter, Also I "friend" requested Grants a while back on facebook and they haven't accepted, I would think that they need to up their social media since the B&M is closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.