PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Granger is often identified as non--aromatic because of its roughs-cut Kentucky burley base, but it definitely has flavorings. I've heard them identified as molasses and anisette, but interacting with the tobacco I think it can be experienced different ways. Since I grew up from he cradle smelling burning Granger, my loyalty is absolute.

Another Forums member and I, years ago, decided that perhaps the Wellman Process was leaving the tobacco barn door open one sixteenth of an inch while curing the burley.

• Haha
Reactions: edger

Ky pipemaster

Lurker
Dec 7, 2022
I really like Granger. I'm a loyal Prince Albert smoker, but burley is my favorite leaf if done correctly. Prince Albert "in my opinion of course" is the best "for me". The only thing that stopped me from Granger being my everyday smoke is the horrendous bite it causes me. It has nothing to do with experience, cadence or packing techniques, I'm not a young new pipe smoker. It has something to do with whatever additives is used. I have the very same issue with Velvet, Half and Half, Chatham Manor and most MacBaren tobaccos. I'm thinking it is either a flavoring or a preservative. A friend sent me some Granger from the 90s I think, or maybe the 80s, I honestly can't remember the year it was made. But it was completely different from today's stuff. It was almost Graham crackery and zero bite. I liked it so much I bought two 12 ounce tubs before Scandinavian Tobacco ruined the packaging amounts. I was so excited I immediately opened a tub and let a few bowls worth set out to dry a bit. It bit me like a rabid dog. I tried it in different pipes, different times of the day, packed it different, slowed down, nothing worked. I ended up gifting both tubs out to my buddies. I was thinking about getting another can a few years later, so I did. It was the stupid 7oz cans they have now ,anyway the only way I can enjoy it is to smoke it in my Savinelli's with a 6mm charcoal filter. Which is fine like I said before, I really do enjoy the taste and aroma.

I really like Granger. I'm a loyal Prince Albert smoker, but burley is my favorite leaf if done correctly. Prince Albert "in my opinion of course" is the best "for me". The only thing that stopped me from Granger being my everyday smoke is the horrendous bite it causes me. It has nothing to do with experience, cadence or packing techniques, I'm not a young new pipe smoker. It has something to do with whatever additives is used. I have the very same issue with Velvet, Half and Half, Chatham Manor and most MacBaren tobaccos. I'm thinking it is either a flavoring or a preservative. A friend sent me some Granger from the 90s I think, or maybe the 80s, I honestly can't remember the year it was made. But it was completely different from today's stuff. It was almost Graham crackery and zero bite. I liked it so much I bought two 12 ounce tubs before Scandinavian Tobacco ruined the packaging amounts. I was so excited I immediately opened a tub and let a few bowls worth set out to dry a bit. It bit me like a rabid dog. I tried it in different pipes, different times of the day, packed it different, slowed down, nothing worked. I ended up gifting both tubs out to my buddies. I was thinking about getting another can a few years later, so I did. It was the stupid 7oz cans they have now ,anyway the only way I can enjoy it is to smoke it in my Savinelli's with a 6mm charcoal filter. Which is fine because like I said before, I really do enjoy the taste and aroma.
after several months of smoking Granger the horrible bite finally got the best of me there is no way this is like what Grandpa smoked, I'm back to good ol' Prince Albert since i'm an all day pipe smoker it has no bite at all.

Reactions: f4phantomdriver

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
after several months of smoking Granger the horrible bite finally got the best of me there is no way this is like what Grandpa smoked, I'm back to good ol' Prince Albert since i'm an all day pipe smoker it has no bite at all.
I'm with ya brother. Granger, Velvet and H&H ripped my whole mouth up. I have a good supply of Prince Albert and still some of the Pennsylvania made stuff. I don't get it though. These classic blends that Lane took over must be using something that doesn't agree with our mouths. Might be a preservative or a universal flavoring they are spraying on the tobacco. Weird because I can smoke Captain Black and I-Q along with BCA with no problems. Prince Albert has never bitten me or given me a bad smoke. I'll stick with that and Pegasus as my all day smokes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been to a pipe shop that sold Granger by the ounce out of a tub. Some love it, and some don't, so that's a good way of offering a sample. It is no longer offered in a boxed foil pouch as it was for decades.

multitool

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2023
Hawaii
I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed Granger. Tried it a year or two ago, and bought several tubs.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Ahh, codger burleys. So comfortable.

I tend to like STG products, but can't really wrap my head around the play dough thing that some of their codgers have going on. Fortunately SWR does not have this flavor, and I've smoked quite a bit of it.