PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Once again Iwan Ries comes through in ways that other on line stores don't. A couple of years back I had asked for notification for several blends that were out of stock and not showing up. Two of them came in and Iwan Ries sent me a notice.

Here's what's different between Iwan Ries and the other so called customer satisfaction focused on line stores. When Iwan Ries sends you a notice they let you know that they are holding the tobacco for you to purchase for up to 4 days. Other stores just send out a meaningless notice that the blend on your wish list is in, and by the time you get the notice, it's sold out. They hold nothing for you.

To the outside world looking at the site, the blend looks like it's sold out on the site, but when you go through their link, it and other blends are available for your purchase. If you don't respond then Iwan Ries goes to the next person on the reservation list. It may take a while, but with Iwan Ries you're going to eventually get what you're waiting for. With everyone else there's no attempt made to do that.

THAT'S customer service.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Noble Bard:

That's part of the reason this fine company has remained in business for 165 years. Incidentally, have you had the pleasure of visiting their store?
No, and it's something I've wanted to do for years. The Chicago Show is scheduled at a time of year when It's near impossible for me to go, because the productions I'm on are going full steam ahead and since I supervise, I can't take days aay. Maybe some day.

Tar Wheel

Lifer
May 23, 2020
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Once again Iwan Ries comes through in ways that other on line stores don't. A couple of years back I had asked for notification for several blends that were out of stock and not showing up. Two of them came in and Iwan Ries sent me a notice.

Here's what's different between Iwan Ries and the other so called customer satisfaction focused on line stores. When Iwan Ries sends you a notice they let you know that they are holding the tobacco for you to purchase for up to 4 days. Other stores just send out a meaningless notice that the blend on your wish list is in, and by the time you get the notice, it's sold out. They hold nothing for you.

To the outside world looking at the site, the blend looks like it's sold out on the site, but when you go through their link, it and other blends are available for your purchase. If you don't respond then Iwan Ries goes to the next person on the reservation list. It may take a while, but with Iwan Ries you're going to eventually get what you're waiting for. With everyone else there's no attempt made to do that.

THAT'S customer service.
Sounds like someone got plugged today.;)😍

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
No, and it's something I've wanted to do for years. The Chicago Show is scheduled at a time of year when It's near impossible for me to go, because the productions I'm on are going full steam ahead and since I supervise, I can't take days aay. Maybe some day.
Oh man! You gotta go🙂. It’s a special shop. If you make a special trip to the area, Arlington Cigar has a nice pipe and pipe tobacco focus and is worth a visit. But the atmosphere of Iwan Ries is truly special.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA

THAT'S customer service.
Whenever I get one of their notifications, which is about once a year, I always make sure to order additional stuff. It's the least that I can do for a company that goes the extra 25 miles.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
Back in 2010 they picked up the phone and called me wanting to know if I still wanted Dunhill Early Morning Pipe after it had been on back order for 6 months and was made available in the USA again, Top Notch Service and Excellent Customer Service, a 5 Star Company as far as I'm concerned.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
The Shipping on their website they still have it screwed up.

First Class Mail isn’t even listed as an option, and then the Priority rates, not sure where they came up with these figures, I don’t live in China.

Two tins of tobacco 50g, $57 shipping, then, I tested it with a 100g and 50g tin $66.

0605ED3C-A03D-43DD-9CA3-50637FC93BFE.jpeg

I tried to make an order with them like two years ago, and mentioned this shipping order pricing problem back then, and they still haven’t fixed it. :(

Looks like they still don’t have an email to communicate, so I’ll need to call them, and ask them to please finally fix their shipping rates so I can order online.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Whenever I get one of their notifications, which is about once a year, I always make sure to order additional stuff. It's the least that I can do for a company that goes the extra 25 miles.
I make it a point to order from them from time to time. They're a class act.

Sounds like someone got plugged today.;)😍
No plugs were available. But I have no doubt that if I had put those on order I would have had them reserved when they came in and my position in the queue was at the front. At the time I made the order the plugs were not being imported.

Are you going to tell us what blends you purchased?
FVF and Best Brown Flake because I'm lower on those than I'd like to be. I don't need more tobacco, so I'll sell off some other stuff to balance it out.

Back in 2019 I got a notification from them that they were holding a bag on Penzance for me. I couldn't remember when I had ordered that, but I went on line to buy it. I don't really like Penzance, but it's good to have for a trade or a gift.

While I was on the page I looked at what else was available and ended up adding 2 bags of Stonehaven, Dunbar, and Tilbury. That was a pretty good haul!

Last edited:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Looks like they still don’t have an email to communicate, so I’ll need to call them, and ask them to please finally fix their shipping rates so I can order online.
I always place an order in excess of a hundred dollars and let them eat the shipping. Just seems to make sense. I usually receive the order within four business days. I've never even looked at their shipping and rates info.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston

THAT'S customer service.
I agree. Just got a note from them two days ago. Don't need the tobacco so I let it go but a very clever customer oriented move on their part. Old school and appreciated....and I'll not forget it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Iwan Ries is a long-time source for me. I often check their site and have a number of pipes from them. I bought four of their house pipes back when Benton was making them, a sub-set of Edwards, of oil cured Algerian briar, and they're all in fine smoking shape after twenty years or so. I like their Three Star Blue tobacco and recently bought a cigar sampler from them, a dozen small cigars I've been smoking the first of each month this year. I think they have about 15,000 pipes in inventory, so if you are looking for something in particular, try there.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Thanks for replying Sable. I have always had pleasant experiences with them. They let me return a humidor no questions asked, because the stain was slightly darker than what was pictured and I wanted more of a blonde color. They said they wanted me to like it, so no problem just send it back.