PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Hi all;

I've always been fascinated by Sasieni shapes and their town names.

Recently, I acquired this one on the bay.

None of my reference displays this shape, or it's name, yet, I think it is made by Sasieni [it is stamped G.W. Sims] because I 'think' I have seen it somewhere before with the Sasieni name and dot logo.

So, I'm putting it out there in hopes that that someone here may know!

Thanks in advance...

Edited by Cosmic: Please check forum rule #9 concerning title capitalization

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Very nice Mike. I'm on the road, so I don't have access to my Sasieni charts. But that one is definitely unique.

Can you show a picture of the nomenclature?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It looks like G. W. Simms had more of a connection to Charatan, although this says he was his own maker.

That pipe does have more of a Charatan feel than Sasieni, to my eye.

https://pipedia.org/wiki/Sims
From a G. W. Simms pipe
6459105_orig.jpg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I had a Sasieini two dot in that shape. I could never figure out what the shape is called, and I eventually sold it as it was too heavy for me. I took this pic after I restored it, but I think that the stem was a replacement as the dots seemed kind of large. Interesting shape though.
img_02231-600x311.jpg

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
That shape is called " Oval Moose " by Blakemar Briars.

They are in stock.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
By John Redman the shape was called " Bull Moose"

I do not believe in the connection Charatan / Sims. Sims were on his own.

Jan Andersson , secretary in the Pipe Club of Sweden knew him and have been in his

workshop.

Later Mr Sims became a consultant by John Redman. I have a letter from 11th Aug 1988

from now Sims Redman Ltd. They offered me Supreme at £ 20 each, special quality at £ 15,

a lower grade at £ 10 and straight grains was a tricky problem

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
I have no pic of the stamping, but it looks just like the GWS pipe ssjones posted, and has no shape number.
GW Sims is interesting----I have another GWS pipe that is definately a charatan bent acorn shape---so i thought did like Bewlay did, ie, they had several manufacturers suppling them.
Here is my best shot at a name: Exeter #111. see chart---the description fits... "front bowl edged"

• Love
Reactions: orlandofurioso

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Here is the view of the front of the bowl, which has an "edge" on the bottom, sort of like a chin.

Possible it could be a Charatan, but it also looks like a Sasieni to my eye. Orley's pipe also confirms this supposition...

I love a good mystery...

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Correction:

It is not the Exeter, which is in most Sasieni charts and is a Banker-type shape. I only have hard copy of this chart---have to scan it one day soon.

So, the question of name/maker still stands...

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
No, it is not a Sasieni Exeter XS. The shape is not often seen but it is still out there.

I am in no doubt that G W Sims made your pipe-
Regards, Jørgen

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
All Sasieni 2nd line pipes had the football COM and a 3 digit shape number, two of which were from the original shape number. I'm very confident in saying that was not made by Sasieni.

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
I'm still not convinced, and believe GWS, like Bewlay, may have brought in unstamped pipes from other manufacturers as seconds or basket offerings, etc.
Then, they would use their own stampings, which would account for there being no football COM or 3 digit shape number.

In this instance, I think this pipe is from Sasieni, that's my gut-feeling, anyway! --- Plus, Orley's two-dot pipe fortifies my theory, it is a very close match.
But thanks to all for sharing your theories and stories.
A lot of information in our hobby is hand-me-down or myth--note the description below... " He may also have worked for Charatan and Barling"
GWS

From Pipes, Artisans and Trademarks, by José Manuel Lopes
English brand from the first half of the 20th century of the artisan and repairer G.W. Sims. He may also have worked for Charatan and Barling. He had a shop in North London, which closed around 1980.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I wanted to add a couple of things just to pile on the confusion:

My old Sasieni Two Dot was stamped as such on the top of the shank, other than that I don't remember what else was stamped on it as it was sold a couple of years ago.
While searching for Sasieni seconds at one time I finally figured out where I had seen that shape before. The pic below from pipephil.eu (as bad as it is) shows this shape under Sasieni seconds called Old England. Stamped Old England, London Made, 60, Made in England football shape.
old-england2y.jpg

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Thanks, Orley.

Interesting how the design of the stem is different, in this case, straight.
I would love to see this shape in their rustic finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.