Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

twiggy

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2019
Niagara Falls
I was out visiting Fort George today, a British fort in Niagara-On-The-Lake from the late 1700's and early 1800's, including the war of 1812.
So, it's from when it was still a British fort and the land on the western side of the Niagara River was still a British colony.
It's a reconstruction now, that was done during the great depression as a "make work" project, the only original building is the powder magazine at the back, but it's said to be a very accurate reconstruction. It was bombed to hell with cannons and burnt down during the war, it is right across the mouth of the Niagara River from the american Fort Niagara.
Anyways, enough history.
I went and checked out the gift shop, and I saw they had what looked like clay pipes, so I asked the clerk if they're just for decoration, or if they actually work. She claimed they actually work, so I bought one being they were only $15.99.
It does manage to pass a pipe cleaner without a problem, so it seems it should indeed smoke. I'm going to go and smoke it now, I'll report back later.
66004067_10215083822113126_30827724767494144_n.jpg

65849092_10215083822033124_3368391113353199616_n.jpg

I assume that back in the late 18th century, and early 19th century, they didn't have cob or briar pipes yet?

twiggy

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2019
Niagara Falls
Here's my report back, it sucks.
It does smoke, but it's draw is terribly, which I think is mainly caused by the tobacco getting into the stem when tamped, because of the fact that it is one piece, with a large hole where the stem meets the bowl. That's what I saw as well, lots of tobacco trapped in there.
I'm going to keep this more as a display piece or a souvenir, than as one to actually smoke.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
So I smoke clays all the time - don’t write them off completely. How you pack, or cut you used could affect smoking. I haven’t had the issues you described, my main issue is how hot the bowl gets! You have to remember to hold it correctly. They were the main smoking instrument for 100s of years and mean to be disposable. Do a little research, hit up YouTube. There’s lots out the to help you on your way. Penn valley pipes has lots of options for clays, same as GQ tobaccos. They are still around for a reason. My thoughts anyway.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Good advice above. I’m actually smoking my clay right now. The problem you’ve encountered with the large opening in the bowl was a problem for me also. Packing and cut needs to be adjusted for clays, usually. They are great, though, if you finally get down the process. They color nicely too, in their own way. May not be worth the trouble for you, though, and that’s fine! Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke! :puffy:

Jan 8, 2013
You have to get into the right mindset with a clay pipe. First, you load it up with some rope tobacco (gotta go old school). Chop that stuff up and drop it in the bowl. Then, you have to put on a period movie... The Patriot, or Last Of The Mohicans both work wonderfully, or perhaps the Netflix series Turn. Last, light the pipe with a coal from the fireplace, kick back and enjoy. Tricorn hat optional. :mrgreen:
Yes.... I actually do that when I'm smoking my clay. :mrgreen:

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
If you are going to smoke a clay pipe, be sure to lick your lips or use chapstick. Otherwise, the pipe will stick to your lips.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I was thinking of picking up a small clay pipe to use for sampling new blends because I heard here clay pipes were good for this sort of thing. Hopefully you get yours up and running good with the tips others left above.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pack it with a pipe cleaner fully inserted. This method works well for me on all my pipes. Enjoy.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
You can't beat this offer for adding to one's collection of clay pipes!
MarKen Pipes

Combo of 7 Clay Pipes for Tobacco Testing Cool Smokers Topseller
$8.99
It's a group of 7 clay pipes, and I found that they were drop-shipped from Germany, arrived here in Maine in about a week. I did not get hit with any tariffs. The box was fully packed with wood chips.
There are two tasters at 3-1/2" three pipes at 5-3/4", and two at 8". Some are white, some brown. The freebie they're offering with an order is a 5-3/4" that is done in a black wash.
I like them. I've set some of them aside to be safe in case I manage to break one of the pipes I've been smoking, though thankfully it's been a few years since I've managed to be that clumsy with a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.