PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I prefer to rub GH flakes out in a bowl and let them dry out for a couple of days. Just a very small amount of moisture left, but not crispy dry. Really helps reduce relights and maintains an even/consistent burn. I then put the semi-dried-out loose tobacco in a jar to use when I want it.
This^

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Following up on my progress here. I have taken to removing a flake from the jar, cutting it into approx 3/8" pieces, then leaving those in a little 1.5" tupperware (about a 1/4 cup size) for a few days. The flakes seem to shed a bit of moisture but not get super dry. Then I rub these out until fluffy right before smoking. My Ennerdale smokes this weekend in my Peterson 05 were sublime, just smooth and creamy, really quite incredible.

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
GH Flake EVOLUTION:

Last night, I snipped some Rum Flake into 3/8" - 1/2" pieces, then dropped it into the bud/spice grinder and gave it two or three quick turns. The grinder puled the flakes into a lovely short ribbon which I dried for 30 minutes and then gravity filled into my Peterson 303. Super easy to light and smoke, delicious flavor.

This is a terrific way to handle flakes.

G

Gimlet

I smoke quite a variety of GH/SG flakes and to be honest I never have any issues rubbing them out, lighting them or keeping them going. I never dry them out, just smoke them as they come. I rub out fully, one ribbon at a time, load the pipe and crack on.

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
GH Flake EVOLUTION:

Last night, I snipped some Rum Flake into 3/8" - 1/2" pieces, then dropped it into the bud/spice grinder and gave it two or three quick turns. The grinder puled the flakes into a lovely short ribbon which I dried for 30 minutes and then gravity filled into my Peterson 303. Super easy to light and smoke, delicious flavor.

This is a terrific way to handle flakes.
Following up on this if anyone is still paying attention. The grinder has become my preferred method for flakes.

Straight out of the jar, no drying, cut flakes to 3/8" - 1/2" pieces, then grind. You can actually customize your grind a bit by only turning it once or twice, you will still feel some resistance and thus have some smaller chunks, but the burn is very much improved compared to rubbing, at least with the thicker GH flakes. I call this a light grind.

If you keep turning the grinder until there is no resistance you get very small little flakes, I would almost call this a mince cut or full grind. It's very fluffy and so small that drying time is not needed.

Since the mince cut is so small I add a layer of meer chips on the bottom of the bowl, then drizzle in the tobacco, using zero pressure, just trying to fill it up nice and fluffy. It burns wonderfully this way.

I'm experimenting to see if I like the light grind or full grind better. Either way, the grinder is a winner for Gawith flakes.