PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
seadog', glad to hear you are coping and I hope you are healing well. That's a lot of life to experience. My wife's been through her tenth orthopedic surgery in six years, so i can somewhat identify. The hospital and rehab place are like going back to my hometown. I know the halls and water fountains by heart, and the cafeteria menu.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
welcome back seadog, I had just joined the forums and I am glad to meet you, also I hope for a speedy recovery and many many blessings, glad that you have reconciled with your wife that is always good to hear, and many happy smokes my friend, also hope you like it in Houston Texas, it is cigar town around here, but if you are looking for a local tobacconist I had just found a decent brick and mortar called the briar Shoppe and they have a decent selection of pipe tobacco and they have nice pipes but man they are kind of expensive, but the mm cobs are at a reasonable price.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Although I have worked in hospitals for 40+ years and love my job, it is obvious that that is the last place you want to spend any time as a patient. Hope, as Michael said, that you kid the hell out of the tumor and that you have many more years to contribute to our forum!

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Thanks for saying hello guys.
Mso, sorry to hear about your wife, good intrahospital landmarks are important. Grin. Knowing the menu sounds scarier than rehab...hospital food!
Thank you papi, I'm sure it will be a good year...the worst is over as answers have been provided.
Hector, yes I found that shop, they are very close to me. Nice people there and yes they are a little pricey. I'll patronize them for an initial pipe and weed sale but online after that. Want to start off on a good foot with them and its important to put a little cash into local economy. Maybe we can meet sometime for a smoke?
Thanks Spencer, yeah they aren't fun, but the quality of care here is superb...very impressed. My neurosurgeon is a little too anxious to excise this thing but we will keep an eye on it. Now we have baseline imaging done it should be pretty clear what to do...cutting is last resort for me...the meds are minimal and helping with minor pain, depression and anxiety. Most disturbing thing is poor sleep and whacked out circadium rhythms. Things are better each day though and my thoughts and feelings are quite stable...pretty sure all will fall in place. I'm more concerned about my young daughter, so I found her a good therapist. I have been a mental health professional for a long time, but she just needs a loving dad now and not dad-therapist. :)

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Thanks Death!
Good to see you Sable and thank you, sir. One second at a time to be sure. You know I lost myself in future worries and past regrets for so long and lost sight of where true reality is...rather the reality I want to be a part of. Grin.
Thank you Eric...blessings unto you as well. :puffy:

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Hey Darin...thank you for the tobacco. Smells great! I'm going to pick up a pipe later today and I look forwards to trying your creation.
Be well...your friend,

Geoffry

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
My pleasure, Geoffry!
Let me know what you think ... the twist is best in a Cob, of course. :wink:

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Welcome back seadog. Good to hear you have reconciled and hoping for the best for your health. :)

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Thank you, tbrad...I appreciate that greatly.
Thank you also, jkrug. In alot of ways things are almost as they were, the stuff that's missing is much of the strife, thankfully. :D I think good things are on the way.
How are you guys doing?

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Darin,

Thank you again for your homemade blends. Looks like about 4oz of your "Black Mamba" ...very generous. 2oz or so of your well made twist which I will review later since I'm in my car now smoking the Mamba. I really want to examine the twist more closely at home with good light, a fresh razor blade to blend well and no wind present.
Bear in mind this review was done using a brand new pipe with a carbon coated bowl. The pipe is a no name prince style briar I got at a local pipe shop for 45 bucks...its a good smoker, nice draw, has a vulcanite stem, smooth finish and med brown in color. No identifying marks whatsoever. I notice a couple fills on the bottom of the bowl...no big deal of course. Nice simple grain pattern. The bowl/pipe fits my hand well and I have been playing with it since getting it...spinning it in my fingers gently and enjoying the nice smooth feel of the finish. A perfect fit for my palm. The little prince accepts a pipe cleaner easily through its slightly bent stem to meet the heel of the bowl with no hang ups. A well made inexpensive pipe. I'm very pleased.
Black Mamba:

Darin's masterful creation is beautiful to look at. He sourced the tobacco online and its all good quality leaf. Darin told me this is a Latakia, Red Virginia, Perique and Green river Cav mixture. It looks mostly dark...many black pieces and dark browms, this smells nicely of latakia...me likey. The moisture content is perfect...loads easily and compressed well when readied for initial light. After first lighting the entire surface I gently tamp and set the pipe down to enjoy what will probably be my last cigarette...a PM menthol 100...I don't finish it since I'm excited to have my first bowl in months. The next light brings this blend to life and Latakia is the dominant flavor/aroma. The perique was very lightly incorporated and not greatly noticed...I can detect it in a subtle manner though. Well done. The Cav adds some good body to the smoke and a little sour character which works well since there are no orientals in this blend. So this would be considered more of an English than a Balkan...though we all know semantics in pipe Kant is sort of nebulous though growing more well defined. The Virginia is not noticed much either as being forwardly expressive but supports well. The flavor profile from beginning to end is that of good quality Latakia. This blend is mostly one dimensional with some occasional pepper/sourness and salty tones. The pipe did well to keep the tobacco cool as did the good moisture level...more on the dry side as it should be for these types of blends...imo. My palate was left mostly clean but with a light smoky aftertaste. For a homemade tobaccoc this is nicely done, well married...Im guessing at least 2 weeks. I have never constructed a mixture myself and its undertaking can definitely be daunting...Darin I think you did a fantastic job!
Ok...if I were to modify this I would increase the amount of perique slightly. Additionally, I would add more Red VA...the Cav level was perfect. The sweetness after increasing the Red VA content would really do much as a counter balance to the salty/sourness that is already nicely evident.
Thank you again, Darin...I really enjoyed your blend and its as fine of a medium bodied, low to medium nicotine imparting concoction as I've tried. I will most likely get a small amount of locally bought bulk VA, throw them together and revist it later...I'm sure it will be very good as it already is a very tasty, pleasing, calming mixture...Perfect on this sunny but cool day in southern Texas. Mostly perfect in the spirit of our friendship.
Enjoy your day folks.
Geoffry

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
WOW!! Very nice write-up and thank you very much for the kind words! :mrgreen:
I would increase the amount of perique slightly. Additionally, I would add more Red VA...the Cav level was perfect. The sweetness after increasing the Red VA content would really do much as a counter balance to the salty/sourness that is already nicely evident.
Duly noted sir and thanks for the feedback! I make this up once a year or so and next time I'll look at bumping those.

Also, I've considered a version with some DFK or Cigar leaf to increase the creaminess and Nic-Kick. :puffy:
Again, Geoffry, thanks and take care buddy!

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Darin, I had forgotten how much I love to really sit and groove with a good blend, feel my way through the experience and write a little something up...I loved every minute of it.

A few freaking typos still got through dammit...lol...typing on my phone is always problematic.
You know what, Darin?...I think that's a great idea...perhaps instead of getting a more round/complex flavor through increases in existing components the answer may very well lie with the addition of another. DFK sounds like a great idea and I would be honored to try your next mixture. :lol:
BTW...how are you holding up there? Feeling a crash this way coming?
Be well!
Geoffry

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Glad your back, Seadog.
Sounds like you have been through some bad weather. Best wishes for sunshine and light breezes ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.