PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
In 1927, you could buy a nice new Ford for twenty $20 gold pieces. And in 2021, you can buy a nice new Ford for twenty $20 gold pieces.

I don't know, Pat. I can't figure it out.
"When minimum wage was $1.25 per hour (1964) quarters were made of silver. If quarters were still made of silver, the minimum wage could still be $1.25 per hour, thereby benefiting employers. But the purchasing power of those 5 silver quarters, is approximately $17.50 in today's Dollars.Nov 19, 2018" usgoldbureau.com

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Never was into gold. Silver looks prettier. But copper patina better than both. Titanium is ok too. But come to think of it, there's nothing like a cold hard steel. OK, cash's good too.

Reactions: JOHN72

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Generally, owning gold coins or bullion works to preserve wealth in an economic environment where people are concerned with a declining dollar and rising inflation, or even deflation, and it has a long-standing history of holding its value when financial and political systems break down.
But for most people it’s not a great investment in the sense of an investment to grow wealth.
When looking to make money investors are typically looking for a much better return on their investment dollar than just keeping up with inflation or preserving assets.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Generally, owning gold coins or bullion works to preserve wealth in an economic environment where people are concerned with a declining dollar and rising inflation, or even deflation, and it has a long-standing history of holding its value when financial and political systems break down.
But for most people it’s not a great investment in the sense of an investment to grow wealth.
When looking to make money investors are typically looking for a much better return on their investment dollar than just keeping up with inflation or preserving assets.
Yep. I think of it as a chaos hedge.

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
I started "investing" in precious metals from 2000 to today. When I started, gold was sub $300, and silver was under a fiver. As a long term investment, it has done very satisfactory. Even at todays prices, I add to the stack on the dips, turning fiat paper into real money. To me, it's a low risk savings account (or old age pension) that offers a better return than current bank rates. Today, I look at it as more of an insurance policy than an investment, for the same reasons peregrinus gave. Yes, there are better investments to be had to grow wealth - most having varying levels of risk. If you want to diversify and sleep easy at night, having a percentage of your assets in physical gold isn't a bad idea. There are a lot of dedicated people out there (and forums) that approach "stacking" in the same way we pipe guys approach cellaring...both are trying to secure a safety net for an unseen or changing future.

Mar 1, 2014
Gold is still a commodity as much as anything. Yes, price is speculative, but it's still one of the most useful base elements we have.
The only way the price of Gold would not keep pace with inflation is if we start finding asteroids full of it.