PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauljmjr

Lurker
Sep 8, 2012
I've been smoking a pipe on and off for 40 years. During that time, I have built up only a very modest collection of pipes -- both in number (around 15) and cost (none more than $100 new). Two years ago, I got back into the hobby big time after a few years off. Since starting back in with the pipe, I've bought five new pipes, and although it wasn't intentional, all of them are Italian pipes. So in the last two years, I've picked up the following: two Radices, a Savinelli, a Luciano, and just today the UPS man delivered my first ever Claudio Cavicchi. Although the Radices and the Cavicchi were more expensive than what I've even previously spent for a pipe, they were still very reasonable -- especially considering their quality.
The Savinelli is a lower end model -- and is a very solid, if not spectacular pipe. The Luciano is quite interesting, as it is one of the ones that the Radice family hand finished. It really is a terrific and beautiful pipe, and it smokes great, although the draft hole is quite large -- and for a heavy puffer like me -- that sometimes makes for a rather short smoke (that's my bad). The Radices are just incredible pipes -- all hand-made and simply fantastic smokers. Very, very hard to find that quality out there for the price. The Cavicchi on the other hand is out of this word. As much as I love the Radices, there is something about Claudio Cavicchi's pipes that makes them truly special. I had read a lot about them on this and other pipe sites. I finally took the plunge. And everything that people praise them for I found to be true. He uses fantastic briar, the fit and finish is unsurpassed, and it is astonishing that he sells such beautiful creations for such a low cost. Yes, his very highest grade pipes can be over $1500, but for around $200 to $300 you can get (new) one of his pipes that is of fantastic quality -- certainly as good or better than many artisan pipes that cost much, much more. I have no association whatsoever with any of these manufacturers. But I just had to share what I think are some great deals out there on some truly exceptional briars.
Here's a picture of the new Cavicchi:

ClaudiCavicchiZulu_zps0a217b68.jpg
[/URL]

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Wow Paul that is a stunning pipe, I was super happy buying my new Brigham...can't imagine what it would be like to pick up a beauty like that!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I've fallen for the Italian pipes too! Among the several that I've purchased, I found their stems -- and especially the stem buttons -- are among the most thoughtfully fashioned and comfortable available.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
That's a beautiful Cavicchi Horn. I've never experienced one of his pipes, maybe sometime in the future. Presently my stable of Mastros, Castellos, Caminettos, Savinellis, Amorellis, and Radices are enough to keep me happy for now. Thanks for the heads up, I'm sure it will be a favorite in your rotation. :clap:

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Great pipe, Paul. I've been focusing on collecting North American carvers, but the Italian artisans like Claudio Cavicchi are simply amazing. Prices seem to be dropping on Italian artisan pipes, too, so now might be a good time to explore Italy. Their pipes, anyway.

pauljmjr

Lurker
Sep 8, 2012
"Great pipe, Paul. I've been focusing on collecting North American carvers, but the Italian artisans like Claudio Cavicchi are simply amazing. Prices seem to be dropping on Italian artisan pipes, too, so now might be a good time to explore Italy. Their pipes, anyway."
bigvan -- I agree, prices are pretty amazing. Not sure how they can do it. But I'm happy to be the beneficiary of these fantastic reasonably priced pieces. My grandparents on my Dad's side both were born in Italy and my wife and I are planning on visiting my relatives over there for the first time next year. I would love to stop in at a place like Cavicchi's or Radices and get a little tour of their shops. Probably not feasible but that would be a dream come true.

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Gorgeous pipe! I can't speak for the other brands mentioned, but I've been very happy with my Savinellis. Viva pipe italiane!

estumpf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2013
Beautiful pipe. Got my interest up and went to smokingpipes.com to see what's available.

pauljmjr

Lurker
Sep 8, 2012
"Beautiful pipe. Got my interest up and went to smokingpipes.com to see what's available."
Careful, that Cavicchi PAD is a powerful thing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Breathtaking Cavicchi. Thanks too for the kudos for Lucianos. I've recently bought two, a smooth author and

a sandblast billiard, both exceedingly well made and light for their size. I have a Sav churchwarden 601, and

two old Sav natural finished briar pipes that have aged dark walnut like meerschaums. The Italian pipe makers

give incredible value for their product, and essentially provide a possession for a lifetime. Enjoy, enjoy.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Nice pipe, pauljmjr.
I've heard a lot of praise for Cavicchi's pipes.
I have some Savinellis, a couple Ascortis and a Mastro de Paja.

They are all nice smoking pipes, with one of the Ascortis standing out as one of my best smoking pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.