Goin' to the beach - Need a good Navy Flake Rec (rum oh hum rum)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggles

Lurker
Sep 25, 2015
Atlanta
I am heading to the beach this holiday with my family where the winds will be a little brisk and the temps will be on the lower end and would like a nice Navy blend with some nice rum notes. I have yet to smoke a navy flake (egads!) so really looking forward to a nice introductory experience. Was thinking CD Black Frigate, but open to suggestions.
#yaar #piratetime

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
You're a brave man, tackling a bowl of flake in a brisk wind! But if you must, PS Luxury Navy Flake is a favorite of mine.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Just started my first shot at Sam Gawith Navy Flake. Not bad at all. It has a hint of Latakia, but it is more a in the tin aroma than in the pipe.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You're a brave man, tackling a bowl of flake in a brisk wind! But if you must, PS Luxury Navy Flake is a favorite of mine
Actually, with the fold and stuff method flakes hold up really well in the wind. They stay lit much better than loose cut blends.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I like both Escudo Navy Deluxe and Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake.
The PS is quite easy to smoke and I like to switch off to the PS Luxury Twist Flake to reset my taste buds for more of the Navy flake.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
I have smoked Black Frigate it certainly contains a fore mast hands daily allowance of rum. Gwaith Navy Flake has rum butter toffee sweet,the squeakers ration :)

Salty Dogs said to have rum.... a lubbers portion I say!

GH do a wonderful rum twist for your convenience.

Sextant I have yet to smoke but is on the list.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I also enjoy SG Navy Flake. It has a decent dose of latakia if you aren't a lat bomb kinda guy - about 20% is what I seem to remember reading, somewhere.

biggles

Lurker
Sep 25, 2015
Atlanta
I think I went overboard on the Navy Flake last week - lots coming in the mail. The beach should be fun this December. Thanks for all the great recs!

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
You're a brave man, tackling a bowl of flake in a brisk wind! But if you must, PS Luxury Navy Flake is a favorite of mine.
Ditto, and it comes at a good price in bulk fro P&C too.

I also like Newminster No. 400 Superior Navy Flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.