PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeedoctorae

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2017
This really caught my eye. Anyone have anything to say about it which will help me decide whether to try or not? It's kind of expensive.

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
It is amazing smooth blend with full aroma and gorgeous presentation but it is also very strong.

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
Also I don't like burley blends but love virginias and I love this plug...

Jul 12, 2011
This blend is always part of my rotation , and I seem to always order at least a few lbs with every TAD order, aging this stuff is also amazing , been smoking some with 5yrs on it, wow - smooth , but also has that strength that builds as you work your way through the smoke - I sometimes make a mistake and pack a larger bowl , if you are not careful and are sensitive to the Nic you might be looking up at the sky as it will put you on the ground

Dec 28, 2015
I love it also but as others have said it packs a pretty good punch. For one thing it is SO tasty and smooth and cool smoking that if I am not careful I will smoke it rather aggressively. But then it will let me know when I need to ease up. I highly recommend it.

Plugs are worth a try. I think that every pipe smoker should have the experience of sharpening their knife and carefully slicing off a flake or twist or rope... just for that nostalgic feel to it. And, you can fashion thinner slices or thicker slices for variations of flavor and performance. However, after doing that, I prefer the ready rubbed myself. Been there, done that, just let me enjoy the smoking part.
And, for a leathery, smokey, experience it is delicious with natural sweetness from the leaf and it's combination. Yes, it's worth a try. And, if you don't enjoy it at first, try cube cutting, or thicker, or thinner slices, or just rubbing some out. It's really a versatile blend.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
One of my favorites. I shave thin slices off the dense plug and rub them out. It's a stout and satisfying blend. Unfortunately my plug developed mold so I need to restock.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Either one is quite good. Plug takes a minute or two longer to prep, not a big deal. I've not found it to be overwhelmingly strong at all but after smoking something or other for over forty years, my body now thinks nicotine is an essential need like water.

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
I just tried my very 1st tin of this the other night. It is very creamy and spicy. very tasty and very strong. I have been smoking Irish Flake and Dark Birds Eye lately, but Jacknife was quite strong by the end. It is really good stuff.
I have been trying a bunch of GL Pease stuff lately, trying to see what I like and what to stock up on. With Dunhill and McClelland going and gone I don't have high hopes for the future of many of these blends.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
"2 thumbs up...way up"

"Highly recommended"

"Five Stars"
Seriously, really enjoying this blend. It is very well balanced.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
It's not a dense plug, a little rustic but very tasty. A few years makes it shine. Good bit of nicotine too. Recommended.

Jul 12, 2011
I'm smoking some RR right now in a Castello Sea Rock Billard (KK) , man is it good - this RR has about a year or so of age on it....just got in about 5lbs of the plug version to cellar for 5yrs...just smoked the last of my 5yr plug supply...man was it outstanding

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
The first plug I tried was Mick McQuaid's. I fell in love with it!

Then I tried Revor. My God that's strong. Much stronger than Irish flake.

Too strong
I badly want to try JackKnife. I am very interested in finding out what "The Composer" will do with a more robust flavour.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just ordered a tin of the ready-rubbed with high expectations. Burley adds a lot to a blend for me.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Oh, no! The secret's out! 8O :lol:
I've been on a plug kick for the last several months/year, smoking mostly sliced plug (got a couple chef knives dedicated to this now). Jackknife Plug is my favorite and my go to whenever I'm indecisive. I want everyone to try it! Great stuff, particularly if you're a fan of dark-fired leaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.