PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
GL Pease blends are tricky things sometimes. Pease himself suggests letting newly opened cans of tobacco sit for a week or two before smoking for best experiences. It's been discussed on this forum for a good while as well.

So all that is to say that when I first tried Embarcadero, I really didn't think it was that good. I was excited to try it based on the description, so I opened it up and filled a bowl... just to be disappointed. Everything tasted muted, and the blend had too many rough edges.

So about 6 months later, I saw the jar while organizing things and filled my pouch with a day's worth and went about my day.

Review spoiler: it became my favorite non-burley morning smoke.

What do you get with Embarcadero? Red virginia and Izmir turkish from C&D.

Seems like a simple blend, but it comes complex with the flavors and keeps it interesting throughout the bowl.

Things start out with an exceptionally bright tangyness. The red VAs are here, and they will not be ignored the blend says. As you continue the journey, things get spicy. The Izmir responding to the VAs that they too are present, and will no be denied.

The VAs and Izmir then duke it out for a small time and you get a blend of the sweet tangy and spicy, almost like a sweet and sour sauce.

Then, negotiations. The Izmir and VAs have settled and decided to cooperate with eachother. And the resulting flavors, which are majority and my favorite part of the smoke, are toasty coffee with a drop of sweetness. It tastes exactly like a perfectly roasted cup or medium coffee should taste. Nutty, toasty, and in this case, slightly sweet with that bitter tang in the background of every sip.

So you may understand why this blend has been one of my favorite to have with coffee in the morning. It makes a strong contender among the many burleys that I love.

Thanks for reading, and go try some Embarcadero if you haven't. Be patient with it, and it will reward you.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Interesting, aren't they basically the same?
The red VA and oriental aspect. The Temple Bar has some gold VA and a little perique. I think TB, especially with a little age but even fresh, is a little sweeter.
I guess you could say the two have similar qualities, but are indeed different. Both are fantastic, but I'm partial to Mr. Pease's red VA blends. The Fog City Selection blends are a fantastic line. Union Square may be my favorite. Montgomery is one that took me a while to get into but I now really enjoy it.