PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeguy93

Lurker
Mar 19, 2012
So, I posted a thread a few days ago about tobacco not tasting right. I figured I just had off tastes that day, and I smoked something in a different pipe the next day and it was great. I went night fishing a couple days ago and have figured out that my Dr. Grabow Big Pipe is in fact ghosted by some of the aromatics I've put through it. I can still smoke some strongly flavored blends in it and not have a problem. However, when I try to smoke Carter Hall in it, the smoke just taste like crap and I cannot enjoy the delicious CH at all.
What do you recommend I do, just make the Big Pipe an Aros only pipe is an option I guess. I've also heard a blend like CH, PA, or SWR will clear out a ghost after three or four bowls. Any ideas are appreciated.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
Either plan is an option. Most ghosts will diminish over follow up smokes, so you won't have to dedicate a pipe if you prefer that option.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Personally I smoke PA about 6 times through a pipe to remove the ghosts, it hasnt failed yet. You should have an aromatics only pipe though, they are practically haunted, aros leave ghosts behind all the time, dont smoke them in your VA or english pipes

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I'd go ahead and dedicate it to aro's. That way you won't have to smoke 4 or 5 bowls of a new blend to get the taste.

pipeguy93

Lurker
Mar 19, 2012
Okay, I'll just make it my aro pipe. I think I might make my Dr. Grabow Freehand ( was going to be an English pipe), a burley only pipe since I have rediscovered my love for carter hall.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
If you really want to fall in love with CH, the absolute best thing you could do is get a cob to smoke it in. Nothing beats a cob for CH IMHO!

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I also prefer cobs for aromatics. I don't smoke them often enough to dedicate a pipe to them and there just seems to be something about the way a corn cob pipe smokes an aromatic tobacco that is just perfect.

pipeguy93

Lurker
Mar 19, 2012
Oh, I've smoked it in a cob and boy is it delightful. Only thing is the MM cob I have is quiet small, so I only get like a 30-40 minute smoke. I may try CH in one of the Ozark Mountain Hardwood pipes since they are readily available here; I've heard mixed reviews of them though.
I just need to figure out what I should do with my Freehand since I smoked a few Latakias in it and decided they weren't for me. Maybe make it a burley only pipe after a few bowls of PA or CH, what are y'alls thoughts? I've come to the conclusion that burleys and aromatics are all I am likely to smoke from now on.

pipeguy93

Lurker
Mar 19, 2012
No Va's yet, I've only been able to get my hands on simple stuff. I am not really able to order online, and there are not many good pipe shops around here past the Gatlin-Burlier. My Mom doesn't approve of my smoking and I'm only 18, so I basically have to do "undercover ops".

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Gatlinburlier carries PS Luxury Bullseye Flake (a VA/Per Cavendish mix roll cake), Luxury Twist Flake (straight VA), and Luxury Navy Flake, it's a wonderful VA/Per. You should give it a try.
http://www.gatlinburlier.com/index.cgi?action=search&query=all&begin=10&rankedby=custom&token=112322202358&field=&fvalue=&base=tobacco.csv&dplate=tobacco.plt&page=none

pipeguy93

Lurker
Mar 19, 2012
Ahhh, sounds like I may have to drum up a "fishing trip" to Gatlinburg. Have you tried any of these or would you recommend one in particular?

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I've smoked all of those. My two favorites are LTF, and LNF. I'm burning a bowl of LTF right now. IMHO, it's hard to beat PS flakes, especially for the price, and they're bulk instead of tins.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
+1 on trying VA's. They are great for summer smoking. They burn slow when you are sitting back to relax. And even a half bowl of a fuity VA is a good quick break. I just stocked up on my VA's for the summer but I think I may have to snag a few more tins of MacB Vanilla Cream.

pipeguy93

Lurker
Mar 19, 2012
Alrighty, looks like I shall be going to the GB so I'll definitely be sure to get 2-4 oz. of some Va or Va and Perique blends. I just might have to get on Aristocob.com since they accept cash!

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
As I have posted before, personally, there is no greater reward than dedicated pipes to your dedicated blends (or very similar blends). It works for me and I would not have it any other way. And, I recommend having enough pipes so that you can give a pipe a few days to dry out after you have smoked it several times. A clean and dry pipe will always reward you. Especially, if it is a pipe that smokes your favorite blend.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Status
Not open for further replies.