PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
Has anyone tried GH Brown Bogie twist? I have found that I really enjoy a stronger tobacco, so I ordered an oz of this to try. Just wondering what the group has to say.

molach95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2017
I smoke mostly twists and Brown Bogie is my favourite. I'd say I prefer the flavour of it to the black twist, a lot of old fashioned, fire cured Virginia/Burley flavours. I think it has a much nicer flavour than people give credit, not too harsh and I never get tongue bite. Moisture can be an issue, but I just relight a lot and the nicotine only gets you if you smoke it quickly and you're not sitting down.
If you've got a meerschaum that may help with the moisture. I don't do the coin cutting process, but some people slice coins with a cigar cutter. I just cut it in slices with a knife and rip up the pieces with my hands, creating something that looks like a ribbon cut.
If it helps, the brown twists are stronger than the black ones. The black twists are more heavily processed and cured, but are arguably more compact and easier to store. The flavour between the two is very different. Pigtail is a thin, "pigtail" like section of twist, originally for chewing mostly and smoking in a pinch if needed. Bogie is the medium, good for chewing or smoking. Irish is the biggest, like a primitive cigar - mostly for smoking but you could chew it if you were hardcore.

I used to have insomnia problems back before I started smoking a pipe. I went years trying very mild sleeping aids, but the negatives always outweighed the positives. But, when I started smoking a really strong tobacco before bed, I never had to take another pill for that.
I love the big bold flavors and after a twist, sometimes I can barely make it to bed before I just fall asleep. There have been many a night when my wife has waken me from my smoking chair with my pipe still smoldering and made me go to bed.
If you like Brown Bogie, you might try the coconut twist or even some Cotton Boll Twist sold as a pipe/chewing tobacco. It is almost pure rustica leaf and really is a treat to the taste buds, IMO. I have set back many pounds of all of the different twists, especially from GH&co, but the Black Irish X and Coconut Twists are my favorites. The Coconut isn't like a traditional aromatic, as it seems to just be cased in it, but it is milder in nicotine, and it has a wonderful flavor. I like to mix in some Coconut Twist slices with my Molto Dolce aromatic by Sutliff to kick it up a bit.

molach95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2017
Cosmic, what is the difference between the Black Irish X, XX and XXX? Is it just size? My impression was the original Black Irish X is just Brown Irish cooked down, while XXX is Black Irish padded out to Brown Irish size?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've never heard of any twist other than ending in "X." European distribution only? I smoke both the black and the brown, and although I adore the very rich flavor of the brown, the nicotine never fails to be an overload; yet I've not had to hover over the toilet quite yet.
Rope is a facet of the pipe that should not be missed.

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
Cosmic, it sounds like our tastes are very similar. I appreciate all the help from all of you. I am new to this , but I feel like I am making great head way because of all the great advise. Thanks to all!

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Purchase a bag and to be frank the smell of this tobacco is slightly intimidating. Almost a peppery quality that stings the nostrils (Anchorman reference). I have sliced off a piece and top lipped it, works. Tasted no added sugar or casing. Just pure tobacco.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
I see they have S & G Rum Twist, Sweet Coconut Twist and Sweet Whiskey twist in stock at Smoking Pipes. I am not a big aromatic fan so out of those three which would you guys recommend for me? Or should I wait for the Black XX to be back in stock. I am not afraid of a strong smoke and look forward to trying a rope baccy.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I've only had the coconut twist. It has a coconut flavor that is discernible but no bite like many aromatics. I was looking at the other twists too. Think I will try some of the others in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.