PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hedonaut

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2013
Snowhill, I would actually say it's not until 5 years or so aging burleys gets interesting. At a year, they smooth out; Any bite they may have had dissipates, letting the nutty, spicy flavors shine through. At five years, things get glass smooth. If your blend has any VAs in it, they will certainly deepen, and the sweet notes will come further up to the surface. I have a 6 year old tin of Old Joe Krantz I'm sitting on, thinking of waiting for the 10 year mark. I've also enjoyed Three Friars with about 5 years on it, and it was divine. In short, I'd say go for it. It's so much cheaper to buy by the pound, jar and cellar anyway, so you might as well get the aging as a happy accident.
If it hasn't become apparent, I'm a bit of a C&D burley fanboy, which is why I sit in the office I do now.

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
Thanks, hedonaut. Maybe I'll hold on to my Solani no. 656 for a few more years before cracking the tin...or I could always buy more! I'll give C&D's line a closer look.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Golden Extra, for sure.

For a classic "American style English", try Hearth & Home Beverwyck

Sutliff Breckenridge is a decent enough simple burley

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Hey Hedonaut,
Aside from Old Joe K, what other CD burley blends are you into?
Good to know OJK is a top rec as I have an 8oz can aging nicely. Haven't tried a bit of that blend yet though.

hedonaut

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2013
I'm sort of a fanboy for C&D's burleys, which is how I ended up working for their distributor. I enjoy Haunted Bookshop, Three Friars is one of my favorites. Most recently, I tried Night Train for the first time. I only have a smoke or two behind me, but it may end up bumping the rest off as my most favorite. Right now I'm enjoying some Oak Alley, but I almost consider it a special class with all the Turkish it has. It's a very different smoke from the typical C&D burley blend while still tasting familiar.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
I smoked SWR for over 25 years, with occasional forays into Edgeworth RR and PA, then discovered English/Balkan blends and have been mostly there the past 25 years. A year or two back, tried Carter Hall for the first time; found it to be very satisfying and now keep a pouch in the shop and in my pickup for those "enjoy a bowl while..." times. Discovered I really like Bald Headed Teacher and Pease's Barbary Coast as well.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Like newbroom I will blend my flakes with burley to stretch it out or tone it down. The burley used is always Carter Hall.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Thanks for all the great advice! I have ordered many of the C&D blends recommended here to try out. Yes, I took advantage of that fine sale at SPC! Should be here today or tomorrow. I look forward to lots of smoke in the coming weeks!
I also have tried many burley based OTC blends due to the generosity of an established, though slightly crazy, forum member. I haven't yet gotten to the SWR but I have tried Edgeworth match, Half&Half, Prince Albert and Carter Hall. So far, my favorite of the codgers is the Edgeworth match with Prince Al being second and Carter Hall being a very close third. We'll see how SWR fares...and I still have Granger to try sometime. Whichever OTC comes out on top will then compete against my favorite primo burley blend; Peretti's 1072. Will keep everyone posted. And, thanks again!

cornleader

Might Stick Around
Mar 8, 2015
I am waiting for some Wessex Burley Slice to arrive from my latest 4noggins order. I can't wait. I have my next order all picked out including Solani Aged Burley Flake.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
This thread is why I like the forum here. I've never been into burleys, mainly because I was never too excited to try them. But after reading some of the suggestions here, I cracked a tin of Wessex burley flake and I like it a lot. Next I'm going to try some Solani Aged Burley Flake and then get into some of the C&D burley blends.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
...and then get into some of the C&D burley blends.
They do Burley justice ... I highly recommend the Big N' Burley with a cup of black coffee in the morning. :puffy:

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Had some Old Joe Krantz tonight for the first time. Very fine stuff! Thanks for that rec!

Status
Not open for further replies.