PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is also often done with pipes, as with house pipes and pipes done especially for one retailer. Many unknown stamps in estate pipes, many made by major pipe makers but not under their names.

May 4, 2015
This is also often done with pipes, as with house pipes and pipes done especially for one retailer. Many unknown stamps in estate pipes, many made by major pipe makers but not under their names.
I know, I know. I'm more talking about intentional deception. Did McClelland have a light English blend on the market and then decided they needed a new line - invented "Craftsbury" and repacked the already-being-sold blend as Frog Morton.
Again, just an example, but that's what I'm getting at.
Edit: And whatever it was before got ho-hum reception and reviews, but now that it has great marketing is a 3.4 on tobaccoreviews or whatever it is. And there is some marketing fellow twisting his moustache and chuckling to himself.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
Some one needs to run a blind triangle test on this. I'll volunteer to be a designated taster.
If you really want to do a truly discerning test on DNR vs Escudo, you need to send unmarked packages to several smokers who claim they can tell a difference, but not everyone gets both DNR and Escudo. Some get 2 bags of Escudo, some get two DNR, others get one of each. Otherwise it's too easy to guess if you just send them a bag of each: that's just a 50/50 chance. If they had more possibilities, it'd actually test the palate more conclusively with a smaller sample. You could even include 3 samples to make it more fun.
See if they can tell them apart then. Difference is highly suggestible. I'd be impressed if they could do it blind, especially not knowing if they were receiving two bags of the same blend.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I've never even tasted either, so I was just saying in theory. :) I've always been impressed at how perceptive some of the palates here are. Mine certainly isn't, so I'd be a terrible test subject.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
bigpond,
Some one needs to run a blind triangle test on this. I'll volunteer to be a designated taster.
A couple of years ago we did a blind taste test with Escudo and DNR. For me it was pretty easy picking out the DNR, it was noticeably less peppery and it was sweeter. Once we were told which was which, I also compared the discs themselves. They were 2 different sizes. I forget which one was bigger but you could see a difference.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I've done back to back comparisons several times, and Navy Rolls and Escudo are not the same, taste wise.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
I'm sure that in many cases, two different manufacturers may on occasion formulate a blend that is coincidentally very similar to another. Sometimes this is done deliberately to try to bring back an old blend no longer made by the original, and probably sometimes, to try to steal some of the fire away from a very popular or successful blend made by another, but I'm sure it happens quite by accident as well. Who has time to try to test and compare every blend out there, especially when many are made by a "secret process"?
What will be interesting will be to see how the new regulations affect all of this.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If the regs go forth as feared, there will be fewer blends available, and no new ones introduced. But one can hope a smidgeon of reason will alter the proposed regulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.