PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Hey guys, So my friend has a pipe. I dont have a pic of it yet. It looks very similar to the one I am picturing, but it is not meerschaum it is ivory with an amber stem. First has anybody ever seen one? Does anybody have any idea how old it might be and its value. My friend got it as a gift from someone who bought it in Europe around WW2. It s unsmoked. The pic is my meer sultan to give perspective, it is similar in size and is carved similarly. But it is definitely without a doubt real ivory. I will eventually post a pic.of the real thing.
ad9a4b89.jpg

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Value is a lot as ivory is illegal and if he is cought with it he better have papers stating when it was imported.

When I had my gunshop and was gunsmithing I made ivory grips and had to give a copy of the papers proving the ivory was pre ban and legally obtained.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Ivory imported after 1989 is illegal, but if it was imported before 1989 then is not illegal to own. It is best to have documentation but if he isnt looking to sell it, he is ok. Im just trying to get an idea for interests sake.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Look up the history of Tsuge pipes. I know at one point Tsuge was involved with manufacturing either ivory pipes or cigarett holders, I believe this would have been around WWII.

Other than that bit of info, I dont know much about ivory pipes.

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
Shaintiques is correct about the date. It is usually refered to as a CITIs certificate. The primary problem is transporting it across international borders. If you want to do that, you have to show some kind of documentation that it was possessed by you or a previous owner before 1989. There are also some hinky rules about transporting across state lines in the US, but I have never heard of them being enforced, and every state does it differently.
If indeed it is real ivory, I would not smoke it, period. Two basic reasons - both of which have to do with heat. First is, do you remember the smell of a visit to a dentist twenty years ago when the dentist was really grinding away? That is what it would smell like to smoke. Ivory is a tooth. It is made out of the same stuff as the ones you are/were equipped with.

Second, ivory is prone to cracking. Heat is one of the fastest ways to cause it to happen. I am kind of surprised that you found a full-sized pipe made of the stuff. It doesn't seem very practical. I know that very small ones, for smoking various substances, can be found in the orient, but becase they are designed to snoke very small quantities, they never heat up too much. I don't know what the odds are, but I bet they are better than 50% that an ivory pipe with a typically sized tobacco chamber would crack if used.
anthony

rock

Lurker
Nov 14, 2011
Ivory IS legal to own and bring into the U.S. from legally hunted elephants. My nephew is a taxidermist and recently did a beautiful full mount elephant for a client.
Back to the original topic, I would think the ivory would dry out and crack if smoked much. I know when used for handgun grips they sometimes crack from drying out.

I'm curious to know how it works out though.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Um ok. So it will dry out if smoked much...but if you smoke it a lot wont there be moisture in the pipe that we normally let briar dry out from during a rest?

rock

Lurker
Nov 14, 2011
Is the upper part of your briar bowl wet? Wood is a bit more porous too, ya think? The key words are, I said I think this would happen, not that it will.

rock

Lurker
Nov 14, 2011
Your guess is as good as mine. I was just thinking ivory cracks from just drying out, subjecting it to heat may not work too well. A search on google brings a number of ivory pipes up though.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Lonestar is spot on with the Tsuge information. Post WWII, he made lots of ivory pipes, most that remain are unsmoked, in the box, as they were purchased more for souveniers than smoking.
I've never seen any from Europe.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Well at least its not soap stone. Moisture is a bad thing for those.
Not to hijack the thread, but what happens to soapstone pipes? I've never heard about moisture having a negative effect, and have been considering plying flame to an old "peace pipe" (circa about 1830) with some N. Rustica a friend grew - but if I am going to destroy it, I'll skip the experience.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
That's what I thought Lonestar, but then I saw Tokers warning and had to wonder!
Edit: Turned to Google, and discovered this:
Many people have a mistaken impression of how compact soapstone is, thinking that a soft stone must also be porous. It can be concluded from soapstone’s high density that it does not have a porous structure. Soapstone was created in high temperatures and under great pressure over a couple of hundred million years. Moisture clings only to the surface of soapstone and is unable to force its way inside, even under pressure. In tests conducted by the VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland (research report number 174/80/BET), a result of just 0.08% was obtained for the effective porosity of soapstone. The porosity of good building stone can be 0-30%. Soapstone is structurally dense.
If moisture gets inside natural stone, it weakens the strength properties of almost all types of stone. If a stone gets wet unevenly, it can bend. Soapstone’s high density prevents moisture and chemicals from entering the stone, and it is therefore not prone to the previously-mentioned problems
*From a company that manufactures soapstone fireplace mantles and counter-tops. - no affiliation, of course!*

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
All I know is my dad brought home a soap stone chess set he got on one of his navy cruises from aftica and us kids knocked some water over and he said it was trashed and threw it away. I imagine the ones today are sealed with something.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
Bringing up an old thread here. The pipe mentioned about Tsuge...they seemed to have been made by a sister company to them. There are solid, as well as carved briar with the Ivory stems. Just so happens, I have one. Mine is not stamped, but usually they have "The Esterd" on the side. They are so unique...no way to deny this is one.
IMG_0160_zpsnhez7ujj.jpg

IMG_0184_zpsvupgnavf.jpg

Now for the kicker. I have posted a thread trying to figure out the best way to clean Amber and Ivory. Both delicate materials. Well, seems the pipe you mention has both to deal with. What info can you give as to cleaning methods that are used? Trying to gather info from several places before I jump into this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.