PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
My 4th or maybe 5th purchase as a new pipe smoker, circa 1975, was a GBD leather tri-fold tobacco pouch.
Forty plus years later the surgical rubber lining has finally rotted away leaving behind a well handled and much loved leather shell.
Is there anybody out there willing to replace the rubber lining? Twest passed on the repair and I get it. Nineteen bucks will by you a brand spanking new 3oz Twest pouch.
But, oh yeah, there's a but and it's huge. This pouch and I have been together since God invented dirt. We've been all over North America, Asia, Europe, South Africa and South America together and I'm just not ready to tack it up yet on another wall memory peg.
Thanks!
Fnord

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have no contacts. But I suggest going to Etsy or Ebay, etc and find someone that makes a pouch like what you already have. Then ask if they will repair what you have. Basically, this person would make you a new pouch, using the old leather.
Worst case, this person says no. But there are many other people that work with leather.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have one, I yanked the rotten rubber lining and just use a small ziplock bag inside.

Can you disassemble a new pouch, remove the lining and glue it into the old bag?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
FWIW, I'd take it to a shoe maker, if you can find one nowadays, and ask him what to do. I wonder if it's possible to treat the leather with a rubber compound that does not require sewing. I'd be interested to hear you decide to do.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Great ideas, everybody, and thank you so much.
One way or the other, I'll post up some before and after pix when the job is done.
Cwarmouth, I finally picked away the leftover scraps from the lining so there's nothing left but unfinished leather on the inside. The rubber pouch had been sewn in and it also appears they used a bit of glue dabbed on the belly sides.
Fnord

cwarmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2017
Would something like this work in it? https://www.amazon.com/BCP-Waterproof-Transparent-Cosmetic-Organizer/dp/B076S5885Q/ref=sr_1_10_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1528118974&sr=8-10&keywords=waterproof+zipper+pouch

Status
Not open for further replies.