PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Black X rope is milder than the Brown. I don't think most would have any trouble with the Black. I find it smokes better grated, which I do by hand. I'm just finishing a bowl.

Reactions: Reggie and vosBghos

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
The Black X rope is milder than the Brown. I don't think most would have any trouble with the Black. I find it smokes better grated, which I do by hand. I'm just finishing a bowl.
Yes, I thought I would try the black rope before the brown. A little caution might be warranted. A full meal and a small bowl to start. I like strong flavours and am intrigued. Thanks for the tip on the grating.

Reactions: vosBghos

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
If you're not nicotine sensitive, you should do well with Black X. Even so, after about 30 minutes, I've usually got my fill of nicotine. I will say that it is a very satisfying smoke. The taste for me falls somewhere between charred meat from the wood smoker, burning Michelin tires, spent motor oil and possibly an electrical outlet fire, combined of course with a really deep, delicious tobacco flavor. It really is marvelous stuff.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
If you're not nicotine sensitive, you should do well with Black X. Even so, after about 30 minutes, I've usually got my fill of nicotine. I will say that it is a very satisfying smoke. The taste for me falls somewhere between charred meat from the wood smoker, burning Michelin tires, spent motor oil and possibly an electrical outlet fire, combined of course with a really deep, delicious tobacco flavor. It really is marvelous stuff.
LOL. Damn dude. Sounds absolutely awful. Glad you like it though.

• Haha
Reactions: Doctor Chopper

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I will say that it is a very satisfying smoke. The taste for me falls somewhere between charred meat from the wood smoker, burning Michelin tires, spent motor oil and possibly an electrical outlet fire, combined of course with a really deep, delicious tobacco flavor. It really is marvelous stuff.
That's a pretty good description. I enjoy it a lot every now and then....like cheesecake or pecan pie.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Yes, I thought I would try the black rope before the brown. A little caution might be warranted. A full meal and a small bowl to start. I like strong flavours and am intrigued. Thanks for the tip on the grating.

Nicotine level isn't the consideration so much as the flavor... which is quite different than any other tobacco you'll ever try. You may dislike it at first because it's so unusual. When I first tried it I felt like I was smoking a bowl of burning motor oil but I've since come to like the curious flavors. In any case you did the right thing buying some. Even if it's not for you it's one of those tobaccos every serious pipe smoker ought to try at some point.

Make sure you dry it out well before smoking or you'll have a tough time keeping it lit.

starrynight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2023
Yo
You just described Laphroaig, or some heavily peated Scotch, haha…